missing cassette spacer?

Newkybroon
Newkybroon Posts: 4
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Can I ask for any mechanics opinions here please. If the 1mm spacer ring was missing on a 10 speed cassette (the 1 behind the largest rear cog), what things could potentialy happen to the cassette/gearing indexing/chain? ie wobbling cassette, gear slippage chain damage/failure etc etc or anything else. Just want as many independant opinions as possible if I can. I do hope I get a few replies? Many thanks in eager anticipation.

Comments

• micken
    micken Posts: 275
    If you tighten the cassette up fully without the spacer you can end up with a fixie, i.e. no freehub/freewheel action. Any lbs will charge you about £1 for the spacer.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    No "independant, as many as possible opinions etc etc" needed mate :? They don`t put the spacer there for a laugh, it`s needed, that`s it, get one :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Newkybroon wrote:
    Can I ask for any mechanics opinions here please. If the 1mm spacer ring was missing on a 10 speed cassette (the 1 behind the largest rear cog), what things could potentialy happen to the cassette/gearing indexing/chain? ie wobbling cassette, gear slippage chain damage/failure etc etc or anything else. Just want as many independant opinions as possible if I can. I do hope I get a few replies? Many thanks in eager anticipation.

but not all 10spd cassettes need a 1mm spacer. But if yours is meant to have one you need it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Newkybroon
    ty for both your replies, Can I just clarify, I was sold this bike WITHOUT the spacer from a bike shop, and I have had major problems, and he is saying it was already fitted, when I have an independant person who can prove it wasnt, needless to say there was some damage, but rather than tell you exactly HOW much or what damage 1st, I would like some opinions as to what damage it can cause, as he is blaming ME for changing gears to roughly with the chain under load, and saying it was there when he sold me the bike. I hope this clarifies the matter and you can all list me potential problems/damage that can occur. many thanks
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    We need some details about the type of wheel and cassette before it's possible to make any further comment.
  • Newkybroon
    Sorry 700 23 American Classic aero 420 wheelset, apparently it should have a 1mm spacer
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,880
    sram cassette or shimano?

shimano needs the spacer, sram doesn't

this 1mm spacer is supplied with the shimano cassette, not the wheelset

if it's missing, the cassette will be a bit loose

if the inside limit screw were set with the cassette slid closest to the wheel, then it slid out and you changed to the biggest sprocket, then maybe on a bad day this could result in the chain shifting off the cassette and borking the spokes

similar thing but in the other direction could damage the driveside chainstay
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If the spacer were missing, surely the cassette rings would be sliding around all over the place, rattling away with mishifts every change? Certainly I think that would be the case on my Campag cassettes; basically you'd know something was wrong almost before the first gear change. No idea about other systems though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Liam Whyte
    Liam Whyte Posts: 17
    If the 1mm spacer was missing then you'd know all about it right away. That's if it was actually there in the 1st place.

The cassette would have some noticeable movement in it and a small gap between the smallest cog and the one next to it, the smallest cog will only tighten up against the next cog anyway.

So if you fit the cassette and see that gap when the smallest cog is fully tightened up then you do indeed need the spacer.