Pot Holes -- DAMM!

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Last night saw us having to call out my mates dad to give us a lift home!.. My first ever ride on a road bike ends in a nightmare...

Last week I took delivery of a road bike to use it for training, and called on a mate to see if he wants to go out round the local lanes, 10 miles in keeping a nice confortable speed of 20mph my mate wants to up the pace, so on a long long nice bit of road we took it to about 24mph and I tuck in behind him and all is well.

I then become very aware that I dont really have any visibilty in front nor can i see the road and whats coming up, I then decided to pull back, and after the car that was overtaking had passed was going to move over to the right a bit, as I was just about to move out, I hit a pothole, bursting both my tubes.

What my question is, how the hell do you guys ride in a group on crappy UK country lanes, the whole road was littered with them, and was constantly having to adjust the position.
Was I unlucky, or maybe doing somethin wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Guy in front should signal of any potholes he can see
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    LOTS of potholes around my way, plus a half mile stretch of BONESHAKING tarmac, littered with potholes about 1" deep.

Luckily I havent had a puncture, but a couple of times I have hit a hole with such force that I was sure something must have broken, but fortunately I got away with it.

I think you've just got to be careful, lucky and make sure your tyres are well pumped up (110psi ish in the dry, I believe, but I'm no expert on tyres other than my own)
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    The roads here are like swiss cheese, and there's no way you can avoid the potholes. My OH and I pump up our tyres to 110psi and ride carefully, although I've still hit a few potholes hard, and so far our punctures haven't been pothole related.

There's a lot of luck involved, I think, but other than that it's just about taking particular care, making sure whoever's in front knows to do their job properly and warn you, or not riding close in a group until you know the road and where the potholes are.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ooh unlucky.

Yes if you're on someones wheel then they should shout out the potholes for you.

What tyres and width do you ride ? If the roads are that bad round you - maybe go a bit wider ? I ride 23mm in the summer and 25mm in the winter.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Secteur wrote:
    LOTS of potholes around my way, plus a half mile stretch of BONESHAKING tarmac, littered with potholes about 1" deep.

Your not from Henley on Thames are you ??????? :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • saprkzz
    Maybe need to pump up tyres, running just around the 100 psi, I have the Kenda's 23mm wide.

I will make sure i dont ride too close also until i get a feel for road riding as well, experience i suppose!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    1" couple near me at least 6" deep.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    Guy in front should point out potholes, or shout pothole left or right, you could also sit slighlty to the right of the guy in front to gain better vision. Do not overlap wheels though, because if his rear wheels hits your front wheel, you may find yourself sittin in one of those potholes
  • jumbojimbo
    jumbojimbo Posts: 7
    Recently I hit a pothole and almost lost control of my bike going down a steep hill at 40mph. It scared me shitless!

Last week though I did have a crash. I was cycling down a road designated only for trams, taxis and cycles and a momentary lapse in concentration ( looking over my shoulder to see where my friend was) my front wheel caught the inner groove of the tram line. I lost control at 23mph and went flying over the handle bars. My only thought, other than f*ck, was hedgehog not starfish. I had no helmet on but managed to twist my body round and tuck in my head. My shoulder and side took the initial impact and my arms protected my head from hitting the Tarmac.

I escaped major injury, the bike is in need of repair and my stupidity aside, I reconciled at least it wasn't a hitting a pothole at 40mph and crashing crash!
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Given the pro helmet and anti helmet arguments I've seen on here - do you now intend to start wearing a helmet?
  • lardarce
    lardarce Posts: 10
    I have used http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ and the iphone app, it does work although it took the council about 3 weeks to fill the pot holes that ruined my tube and broke a spoke. I did notice that they only did the area I marked on the map not the remaining pot holes 20 yds before it!

Bombard them!!

RE the helmet comment, if your head isnt worth saving dont wear a helmet :roll: , there was a saying when I raced motorcycles, if you have a £10 head buy a £10 helmet.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I generally stick to one route and memorise where the worst potholes are so i avoid them well in advance...Some sections are extremely bad where the surface is coming away making it feel more like a cyclo-cross track than a road :lol:

Just make sure your tyres are well pumped (110 psi?). Also make sure you can see the road in front if your mate isn't willing to point out the holes for you!
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • saprkzz
    Sweet thanks for the advise people, Will ride a bit more careful making sure I can see the road!.. Gutted for a first ride out, Lucky enough we got 10 miles in so feel love a little, otherwise I think my new bike would have gone on ebay and I would be stcking with my MTB :)
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I hit a pothole, bursting both my tubes.

What my question is, how the hell do you guys ride in a group on crappy UK country lanes, the whole road was littered with them, and was constantly having to adjust the position.

First, were your tyres inflated enough? You need at least 100psi to avoid snake bites.

But it takes practice to ride in a group on UK roads. You need help both from the rider in front, but also you need to observe very closely as well, and if the going is dodgy loosen up a bit so not too much weight is on saddle.

I have definitely improved, touch wood, haven't hit a pothole badly for 2 or 3 months now, I do a group ride each week. Basically experience.
  • lardarce
    lardarce Posts: 10
    I hit a pot hole a couple of months ago, my hands were on the top of bars, the force was such that its taken 6 weeks for the pain to subside, I couldnt put any pressure on it for a couple of weeks! If I had been on the hoods it probably wouldnt have had the same effect.

No damage to the bike fortunately :wink:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I find the gravel as bad an issue.

On the lanes just north of St Albans and all the way upto whitwell the lie of the land means that there is a 30cm gravel trap in the middle of the single track country lanes and well as along both outer edges.

So easy to get sucked into that, and suddenly loose traction :shock:
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    1" couple near me at least 6" deep.

6" pah, round here we need a miners lamp attached to our helmets
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    saprkzz wrote:
    Was I unlucky, or maybe doing somethin wrong?
    Cheers

I don't use narrow tyres at silly pressure :lol:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I hit a bad pot hole last night and I immediately thought puncture. I waited for the tyre to go down, but luckily it was OK. I then thought if I'd damaged the rim, but at home I checked it and all was OK. Over the last few years the roads do seem to be getting badly repaired or no repairs at all. I've seen yellow marker paint around the holes and nothing has been done about it. There's only so many times you can complain before you give up :x

As has been said 100+ psi is best. Also, I've noticed that some tyres are better then others at managing potholes. I also agree that 25mm gives a slightly tougher and better protection if you're on the heavy side. Another thing is I stand up and balance my weight on the bike if I can't avoid a badly tarmaced/potholed section.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • My tactic when riding in a group on the Sunday long runs is to stay as near the middle of the road as possible as the worst of the holes seem to be within a meter of the kerb - and also to be as near to the front as possible so you can see what's coming up.

So far this year - fingers crossed - I haven't had a puncture but have certainly ridden many times unavoidably over some awful surfaces.
    I also pump my tyres up to 100psi and I think that helps as you tend to bounce over stuff.

Yes - Henley - quite bad - but then so is most of Buckinhamshire too. Yesterday's ride took us over into Berkshire and wow - what a difference - miles of smooth recently laid tarmac.
  • TomParker1
    TomParker1 Posts: 35
    The other day i was screaming down a mile long hill doing 25mph+++ at a guess. Didn't see the pot hole in the dark - the front survived admirably but got a terrible snakebike on the rear and the impact nearly threw me off the bike!

To say the least i'm much more eagle eyed by the experience.

Tom