Edge 705 routing issues

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
I'm having a nightmare getting my 705 to route properly. I'm creating my routes using Bike Route Toaster and/or Ride With GPS, and then downloading the GPX (GPX Route file when using RWGPS) to my computer and then uploading the GPX to my 705. I then load the route fine in my 705 but the unit then decides it doesn't want to follow the route that I've asked it to follow and instead gives me the shortest route to my destination. I've turned off the auto routing function of the unit and it still does it. I had assumed that the Bike Route Toaster track points on the route would guide the 705 around the route that I had created?

Any idea where I'm going wrong?
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    The software powering the 705 is absolutely god-awful, and doesn't work properly for any ride over around 25 miles if you try to feed a GPX into it. Try exporting from bikeroutetoaster as a TCX instead: you loose the pretty turn-by-turn navigation, but it'll get you round without sending you back to the start or turning itself off.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Turn recalculate route to off.

IE. Menu > settings > routing > recalculate < off
  • Mr Plum
    Nerrep wrote:
    The software powering the 705 is absolutely god-awful, and doesn't work properly for any ride over around 25 miles if you try to feed a GPX into it. Try exporting from bikeroutetoaster as a TCX instead: you loose the pretty turn-by-turn navigation, but it'll get you round without sending you back to the start or turning itself off.

Yeah I've experimented with TCX a bit. The problem I've got is that I'll be using the 705 for a LEJOG ride and I'd probably really benefit from the turn-by-turn navigation. Is there any way to make the GPX work without the 705 deciding on its own route?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    Flasher wrote:
    Turn recalculate route to off.

IE. Menu > settings > routing > recalculate < off

I've tried this and it does exactly the same thing. I'd assumed this would turn off the 'autorouting' but instead I think it just turns off the recalculation if you go 'off route' or something? Anyway, the 705 still creates its own route despite this being turned off.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't have an Edge, but my Garmin Dakota won't show a complete route beyond a certain length; I think it has a limit of 500 waypoints, and routes you create may have more than that. I get round this by using software like Mapsource or WINGDB3 with Mapsource or the GPSIES website to reduce the number of waypoints (in fact, GPSIES is probably all you need for route planning).

Generally I use tracks (as gpx files) rather than routes, and whilst there are no turn by turn directions, the route shows on the map and you just follow it. I did a 250 mile tour in NL last year just made up of 10 preloaded tracks. Faultless. The Edge should work the same way.

I just select "show on map" by the track I want to use.The Garmin doesn't calculate a route unless I select Go To and select a map point / location etc, and then Go.

I use TalkytoastersBritish Isles Open Street Map with contours[/url] which is routable, Velomap GB and OpenMTBmap. When I want a cycle specific route I enable Velomap and disale the others, it then selects cycle paths if they exist, likewise with openmtbmap. For general road riding its Talkytoaster, I have found this to be very detailed, readable and accurate.
  • Mr Plum
    So the best way to do it would be with the TCX files as a course?

Disappointing that Garmin haven't sorted this out with an update.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mr Plum wrote:
    So the best way to do it would be with the TCX files as a course?

Disappointing that Garmin haven't sorted this out with an update.
    No, I am suggesting making GPX track files and following them (and / or using appropriate software to reduce waypoints).
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I always use TCX files and find it works fine. I use the free open source maps and I still get turn by turn info. The difference is the with a GPX route it will say "Turn left into High Street" where as the TCX course will just say "Turn Left".

That's enough info for me and you can still see street names on the map if you are zoomed in enough.

It will also give the same warning if you go off course, the difference is (and why I actually prefer Courses to Routes) is that when you go wrong it just tells you, you look at the map and retrace/sort it out. If you are using Routes it tries to recalculate a new route which can take ages and sometimes just be wrong.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Mr Plum
    Ah ok, I think I understand it a bit more now. I experimented with a few things last night but couldn't really get anything to work. I'll have another go tonight and I've got a lot of time tomorrow to get to grips with things...

Should have sorted this out a long time ago, just didn't realise it would take me hours and hours to figure out how to get the 705 to take me along the route I require.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    If it's any help I've used BRT to build a course, then upload as TCX into my 705 but without course warnings as that just screws things up.I then just follow the purple line. I did Biarritz to Caen in 5 stages like this.
  • Mr Plum
    If it's any help I've used BRT to build a course, then upload as TCX into my 705 but without course warnings as that just screws things up.I then just follow the purple line. I did Biarritz to Caen in 5 stages like this.

How do the course warnings screw things up?

Without the warnings, did the Garmin prompt when you were coming up to a junction/turn, or only when you were at the junction/turn, or not at all?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Use Bike Route Toaster and add course point warnings. Send it to the 705 with "To Garmin GPS: tcx" and you'll get those warnings when you ride. Follow the line and if you run out of course by any chance it'll warn you so just go back to it (don't press enter or it recalculates I think). I do 100 milers constantly on roads I've never been to (including some really rural places) and it works perfectly. I don't even read the turn by turn notes to be honest. They're just there for the beeps.
  • Mr Plum
    Lightning wrote:
    Use Bike Route Toaster and add course point warnings. Send it to the 705 with "To Garmin GPS: tcx" and you'll get those warnings when you ride. Follow the line and if you run out of course by any chance it'll warn you so just go back to it (don't press enter or it recalculates I think). I do 100 milers constantly on roads I've never been to (including some really rural places) and it works perfectly. I don't even read the turn by turn notes to be honest. They're just there for the beeps.

Yeah this is what I thought - the course point warnings will come in handy, but malcolmfrost's post has confused me a bit...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Nerrep
    The course point warnings don't work for me either (though I think this bug is due to BRT being shit rather than Garmin for once). For me, the warning points will appear anywhere from 5-500 metres away from where they're meant to, meaning the purple line disappears off into the countryside. You can still follow the routes (as the points seem to become sensible again once you make a turn) but it looks messy, and is probably harder to follow than without the warnings.

I think this is a BRT problem as downloading the TCX and then re-uploading it will result in the misplaced points appearing on the BRT map as well.
  • Mr Plum
    Nerrep wrote:
    The course point warnings don't work for me either (though I think this bug is due to BRT being shoot rather than Garmin for once). For me, the warning points will appear anywhere from 5-500 metres away from where they're meant to, meaning the purple line disappears off into the countryside. You can still follow the routes (as the points seem to become sensible again once you make a turn) but it looks messy, and is probably harder to follow than without the warnings.

I think this is a BRT problem as downloading the TCX and then re-uploading it will result in the misplaced points appearing on the BRT map as well.

Ok, so if I download the TCX from BRT without the course point warnings, how does the 705 direct me? Does it beep when it's coming up to a course point or anything? ...or do I just have to pay attention to the map?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Nerrep
    It'll beep when you're at the junction, so whilst it'll stop you sailing miles past, you don't get much warning. I've always found it best to have the map up with speed and heart rate at the top and to keep an eye on it along with having a general idea of where you're supposed to be going. I've never got too lost yet (compared to when you try to use a GPX and it crashes or directs you round and round in five hundred metre circles).

I'm actually pretty shocked at just how bad the device is at doing what's advertised. Too late now though :(
  • zerostar
    zerostar Posts: 37
    I have had more success using GPXX routes from bikehike.co.uk.

These give me turn-by-turn navigation for long distances, unlike GPX routes. The only drawback is that on circular routes gpxx can get a bit confused. I fix that by making sure the end of my intended route is a couple of streets away from my start.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Nerrep wrote:
    The course point warnings don't work for me either (though I think this bug is due to BRT being shoot rather than Garmin for once). For me, the warning points will appear anywhere from 5-500 metres away from where they're meant to, meaning the purple line disappears off into the countryside. You can still follow the routes (as the points seem to become sensible again once you make a turn) but it looks messy, and is probably harder to follow than without the warnings.

That's pretty weird. I import directly to the Garmin from BRT and never had any problems :?
  • Nerrep
    Hmm, strange. I've never tried importing a TCX directly across as the GC plugin didn't work with Firefox 4 for a while so I've been stuck downloading them and copying on. I'll give it a go now the plugin works, and see if this is still an issue.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Anybody else had problems with BRT refusing to allow you to plot a route along a specific road, it frequently does this and does my head in when you know the road is not one way, yet it insists that you can't go down there.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I use BRT to plan my routes with 200 (ft or metre, not sure) course warning point, and download the tcx file to pc then copy to 705. It warns me of turns with a beep and an instruction 200 ft/metre before a junction but you can change the warning distance. I tend to have the map screen on view anyway if I'm not sure of the route, I have it on 500ft then zoom into 300/200 in built up areas with more turns. Never had a problem with it and never got lost, so it must be ok if I don't lose my way!