The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I have seen these mentioned on various sites - and they seem to get good feedback. The reported price of around £300 seems a good deal cheaper than those in the uk.

Problem is how actually do you get your hands on some ? - Ive heard people say ebay - but at the moment - they seem like rims only - I would rather buy the complete thing !

I have found this link

http://yishuntrade.en.alibaba.com/produ ... erproduct4

but this seems to have a minumuin order quantity - and no quoted price - and some people are even doing on line bank transfers - where as I would prefer to pay by credit card or Paypal

Am I asking to much ? - could someone 'in the know' produce a 'how to' guide - detailing any pitfalls etc ?

I can't be the only one wanting this ?

Comments

• benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I have bought a set of 60mm wheels of a seller on ebay called carbonzone.I have also just bought a set of 88mm ones as well as they are that good.Google carbonzone or try Denfu as they are meant to be good as well but i can vouch for carbonzone.They have all diffirent sizes of carbon wheels to choose from and they are all built up for you,plus you do not get caught for customs as he posts them as samples.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • kingrollo
    benjboy wrote:
    I have bought a set of 60mm wheels of a seller on ebay called carbonzone.I have also just bought a set of 88mm ones as well as they are that good.Google carbonzone or try Denfu as they are meant to be good as well but i can vouch for carbonzone.They have all diffirent sizes of carbon wheels to choose from and they are all built up for you,plus you do not get caught for customs as he posts them as samples.

OK step 1 in place ! Carbonzone Google (ticks box)

Does he do clinchers ? I am not manly enough for tubs !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go to either the dengfu or yishun website. (not through alibaba, go direct)

Get the contact details.

Email them with your requirements.

I got mine from dengfu, paying by it was cheaper than eBay. (they are carbonzone on eBay)...
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Send him a email he is quite quick in responding and ask him I am not to sure if he does.If not try ebay and search for carbon clinchers find a seller and then check him out Like his feed back and ask on here again.Have seen other threads which are saying the carbon clinchers are quite heavy ? not sure ..Hope this helps..
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • kingrollo
    Cheers all,

Any tips for getting it past the Mrs - bearing mind have today vetoed the holiday abroad - due to austerity measures - I was thinking of telling her 'ive ring fenced my cycling budget'
  • Anonymous
    If things are bad, don't bother, far more important things than some wheels...

I'm in a similar biat. Had to sell best bike and wheels and my beloved hifi :(
  • kingrollo
    NapoleonD wrote:

Dunno - wheels are important ?

You didn't have to sell the cervello ? - ouch !
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    I think it's unlikely you'll find clincher versions from the non branded suppliers ... yet.

The problem with clincher versions of deep section rims is the heat generated from the braking surface can build up and cause problems with the adhesion of the clincher structure to the rest of the rim and/or the mechanical reliability of the rim itself.

Overcoming this problem requires engineering research which the "brands" (Zipp, Mavic, FFWD etc.) have invested in, and which the cheap Chinese guys don't have.

Eventually this technology will filter down, but for the moment even if the clincher versions of these cheaper rims we're available I think I'd steer clear until some long term usage information was available.

Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Anonymous
    I think it's unlikely you'll find clincher versions from the non branded suppliers ... yet.

The problem with clincher versions of deep section rims is the heat generated from the braking surface can build up and cause problems with the adhesion of the clincher structure to the rest of the rim and/or the mechanical reliability of the rim itself.

Overcoming this problem requires engineering research which the "brands" (Zipp, Mavic, FFWD etc.) have invested in, and which the cheap Chinese guys don't have.

Eventually this technology will filter down, but for the moment even if the clincher versions of these cheaper rims we're available I think I'd steer clear until some long term usage information was available.

Both yishun and dengfu do clinchers. They are reputedly very good.
  • Anonymous
    kingrollo wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Dunno - wheels are important ?

You didn't have to sell the cervello ? - ouch !

The cervelo, the colnago, the bora ultra twos and the zipps.

The worst was the hifi.

That said, it's enabled the family to have a week away in a barn in cornwall and kept a roof over our heads... Far more important than some bling wheels...
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    How long do carbon wheelsets last in regards to the braking surface?
  • Anonymous
    Depends how much you brake and what pads you use.

Have a look on ebay at some of the old wheelsets for sale, they are still going strong!
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    Braking is for losers anyway! Damn got a wedding to pay for first! :evil:
  • Hi-fi?
    Hope you are talking Brit stuff like Naim etc?
  • Anonymous
    Hi-fi?
    Hope you are talking Brit stuff like Naim etc?

I think naim is bobbins :?

Everyone has their own preference though.

Brit cd player (dCS)
    Jap amp (Accuphase)
    French Speakers (Focal)
    American Cables (MIT)
    British Supports/mains (Musicworks)

Was a hell of a lot of money. Sounded amazing. All gone bar the speakers now :(
  • Bobbins? Haha
    Used to have a Michell gyro deck with naim amps and ruark speakers, finally went to cd and had a three box roksan.
    all nice suff but now just have an arcam solo movie, definitive tech speaker system
    Helps having a mate in the industry :D
  • Anonymous
    Bobbins? Haha :D

Yeah, just a hifi racket. IMO. The only thing I ever thought was ok was the cd 3.5.

Never heard any front end come even close to dCS.

There's a lot of expensive crap out there...

Anyhoo, we digress.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've just ordered some 50mm carbon clincher rims from Xiamen Far Sports. I started through Alibaba by messaging numerous sellers that were advertising carbon clincher rims. The price varied quite a bit, as did the lead time since I need non-standard drilling (20/28 ).

In the end I went for Xiamen Far Sports because the price was one of the best, the lead time seemed reasonable (15-20 days - some were quoting 45 days), the rims are pretty light (about 430g) and I've also read of peoples (mostly) good experiences with them. Price for the pair of rims including postage came to £236. I've just bought a 66g front hub for £32, rear hub will be my PowerTap Pro+ and spokes are probably going to be DT Revolution costing 49p each from Roseversand - about half what they cost here in the UK. Build should come in at around 1700g which is pretty respectable for a PowerTap build and cost about £300 (excluding the PT hub obviously).
    More problems but still living....
  • kingrollo

I think there maybe some truth in this - but most of my rides are around 40 miles - with an average speed of 16 /17 mph - I am not hurtling down alpine descents.
  • amaferanga
    kingrollo wrote:

I think there maybe some truth in this - but most of my rides are around 40 miles - with an average speed of 16 /17 mph - I am not hurtling down alpine descents.

Derek @ Wheelsmith has this to say about Gigantex carbon clinchers:
    We have now finished extensive testing of the new 38mm, 50mm and 60mm Gigantex clinchers in the Alps, southern France and the pothole ridden roads of Central Scotland! The tester has notched up miles of trouble-free riding at descending speeds up to 65mph and they have proved every bit as strong and reliable as the tubulars.

Not sure how different the Gigantex are from the generic Chinese ones though.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Prob with clinchers is the outward pressure the clincher bead applies to rims - carbon rims aren't easily built top cope with that, tubs don't have that issue as they are just stuck on the top and there is none of that for the rim to have to handle.
  • amaferanga
    There are a lot of people using the Chinese carbon clinchers now (check out Weight Weenies forum) and I've yet to read a report of tyres popping off the rim or rims failing.
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    I have just invested in a pair of 38mm clinchers from Yishun should I use these or my Campag Khamsins in the Etape this July. I have already put 150 miles on the carbon wheels and am very pleased with the performance especially under braking.
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    very tempted to get a set of these wheels after the reviews.
    what depth rim would be best for mainly flat with some climbing?
    what do the different depths mean in terms of stiffness/aero/climbing?
  • Anonymous
    pjm300 wrote:
    very tempted to get a set of these wheels after the reviews.
    what depth rim would be best for mainly flat with some climbing?
    what do the different depths mean in terms of stiffness/aero/climbing?

50s would be the best all round choice in my experience
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    38mm carbon clinchers, 1400-1450g.....very tempting.

was planning to get some DA C24s, but, while they're undoutedly great, look rather dull. A deeper rim looks much nicer but the extra weight and cost had been putting me off.

38mm is probably right for me - mostly solo riding in the pretty hilly and often windy Yorkshire Dales.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    38mm carbon clinchers, 1400-1450g.....very tempting.

was planning to get some DA C24s, but, while they're undoutedly great, look rather dull. A deeper rim looks much nicer but the extra weight and cost had been putting me off.

38mm is probably right for me - mostly solo riding in the pretty hilly and often windy Yorkshire Dales.

where did you see them as I've been quoted US$490 from Carbonzone for 50mm clinchers but they've not given weight despite asking twice.
    If 38mm are that sort of weight I'd expect 50s to be around 1600g which would be perfect for me if they are the same price or cheaper
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Could someone explain to me the differences between clinchers and tubs. I can understand why you would get £300 tubs but isn't there better clinchers to be had for £300?

So yeah why clinchers or why tubs?
  • kingrollo
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Could someone explain to me the differences between clinchers and tubs. I can understand why you would get £300 tubs but isn't there better clinchers to be had for £300?

So yeah why clinchers or why tubs?

Tubs give a better ride - but is more hassle if you puncture. - that's my reasoning.