Shimano cassette help please?

fludey
fludey Posts: 384
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Hi I have a Felt AR4 fitted with Ultegra group set, I wish to fit a bigger rear cassette currently 11-23 need to fit a 11-28 for a hilly route.
The cassette says its an Ultegra HG 5600 and im looking to fit a Ultegra HG cs-6700 from Wiggle, are these the same is the 6700 just an updated model?
Will the chain be the same 10 speed chain I presume?

Hope someone can help as im a little confused :roll:
Felt AR4
Planet X Pro Carbon 105
MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!

Comments

• fludey
    I know the old 5600 rear deraileur only went up to 27t, having just checked mine is stamped 5700 so assume thats ok up to 28t, just need to check the fit and index are the same?

Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    5600 is shimano 105 not ultegra. 5*** is 105 6*** is ultegra. the ***'s are just the year version. but all shimano cassettes fit the same and have the same spacing except some dura ace cassettes have taller splines for cheese cassette bodys. the chain will fit the same, but its advisable to fit a new chain if has much wear as its likely worn a little longer and will wear the cassette out quicker.
  • fludey
    Thanks for the reply, chain should be just fine not covered many miles at all as not been used over winter and got it last summer when i broke my finger and was off the bike a while.
    The rear cassette says 5600 on the lock ring but the rest of the group set is 5700 Ultegra but as you say will be ok so will await my bigger block to come and see if it makes it up the hills then.
    Reluctant to change the chainrings or change it to a compact, so hope cassette sorts it.

Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes. a 39-28 is slightly lower than 34-24 on a compact.