Quick Handbuilt Wheel Question

solboy
solboy Posts: 368
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Do you think you would notice a differnece in going from Fulcrum 7s to a set of handbuilts made up of Ultegra Hubs, Excellight Rims, Sapim Race/Aplina F1 spokes?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They'll look different, but they won't be significantly lighter and won't make you faster.
    More problems but still living....
  • solboy
    so not worth spending the money?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    solboy wrote:
    so not worth spending the money?

They will be far better than F7's! Stronger, more reliable and easier to repair. They will also be smoother riding and yes will probably feel lighter when climbing.
    Go for it.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The lighter rims in particular will make them noticeably easier to 'spin up'. Don't forget to fit a decent pair of tyres too. Build quality is critical as well.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • solboy
    They will be Harry Rowland wheels with Conti 4 Seasons tyres.
  • solboy
    Any more comments on this one? I want to place my order today is possible!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Worth it IMO over F7's, you should be able to notice the difference but they won't make you into Contador overnight (unless you're eating dodgy beef as well).
  • cossington
    cossington Posts: 36
    edited May 2011
    In many areas of life, the idea of having something custom made to suit your style, needs, size etc is a rarely attained ideal. How of many of us think that 'one day' we'll have a custom built bike frame. Clothing - designed and made for us and our individual quirks, rather than an item designed to perform perfectly adequately for 90% (put in your own percentage figure there) of the population. I can't justify the expense of a tailor- made suit (maybe one day).

Bicycle wheels have typically been hand built until very recently (15 years ish, maybe?). The different styles of factory (mass-produced) wheels draws us in (including me -I love my Neutrons).

Away from the visual bling (which is generally one of the main selling points of factory made wheels), the appeal of a pair of custom made wheels is substantial (or it should be).
    After a chat with a good wheel builder, when he identifies your needs - weight, type of riding, type of roads etc, you know the wheel won't be the same as the previous guy's wheel, but will be ideally suited to you. The custom wheel builder has the ability to source spokes, hubs and rims, each from different manufacturers to get the right blend for your needs.

When one considers that hand built are often (not always) cheaper, too - hmmm.

Go for it, Solboy.

Regards,

David
  • solboy
    order placed with Harry!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    amaferanga wrote:
    They'll look different, but they won't be significantly lighter and won't make you faster.

He'll be far faster if he breaks a spoke compared to the F7's