Shoes - Sidi Ergo 2 carbon lite vs Specialized S works shoe

negevist
negevist Posts: 3
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello,

My name is Oleg, I decided to buy a new road shoe, the appearance is
not an issue for me, I`m interested only about the competitive side, which
shoe is stiffer more rigid and comfortable for long rides?
I am not a weight freak but all the small appearance things on the Sidi
is quite Unnecessary, personally for me the Speacilized looking quite more professional.

And what about the GENIUS 5.5 COMP MEGA I read a review here that it is not stiff enough compared to the previous shoes, is it a significant difference? :roll:

Thanks a lot to everyone. :)

Comments

• I can't comment on the difference in stiffness but all I can say is the S works shoes are amazing and are very comfortable to wear over distance I hardly notice I have them on when I am cycling they fit me that well.

I would say size wise they are about right in terms of siziing, i.e. I normally went one or two sizes up in the past but felt the s-works were about right for a my normal shoe size of 11 uk / 45 euro.

Good luck and go and try some on as it makes no difference if they are stiffer and lighter but give you terrible hot spots and pinch !
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sounds like you've answered your own question there negevist.
  • Lemond75
    Lemond75 Posts: 75
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i have both, i dont wear the sidis.

I on the other hand had the S Works shoes and now use Ergo 2's as I didn't find the Specialized's to be as comfortable. Yes they are lighter than the Sidis and I believe the 2011 version is supposed to be more comfortable than the 2010 model I had, but for me the only advantage the S Works shoe offered was that they were lighter.
  • peter101cycle
    peter101cycle Posts: 298
    Sidis every time for me - had a pair of Specialized that I didn't get on with
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I've just swapped from Sidi's to Specialized, and am very impressed.
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    if you have narrow and longer feet get sidis...if you have bulkier feet definitely stay away from sidis. specialized is best for wide feet.
    I have both and the sidis just do not fit me.

3rd option; mavic zxelium - that by far is the most comfortable!

The 5.5 is carbon composite not unidirectional carbon like the ergo 2.
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Having worn everything there's no way I would ever part with my Giro Factor.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • negevist
    negevist Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response guys.

My choice probably would be specialized,
    I`m having Budged issues, im a soldier and the salary is not high to affored unnecessary expenses.
    The difference I performance,
    Between Sidi Ergo2 and Specialized to shoe at lower price range like
    Sidi Genius 5.5 worth the difference in the price or the performance difference is minor? The price are 215 $ for the Ginius, 335 $ for the Ergo 2 and S works.

Thanks a lot.
  • peter101cycle
    peter101cycle Posts: 298
    canbakay wrote:
    if you have narrow and longer feet get sidis...if you have bulkier feet definitely stay away from sidis. specialized is best for wide feet.
    I have both and the sidis just do not fit me.

r

+1 definitely a good point about feet sizing. Sidis are narrow fitting
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Both are good shoes (I have the Dragon2 MTB version and the s-works road shoes). Started off with the 2009 s-works and they were OK but a bit tight (even sizing up to a 45), recently got the 2010 model in a sale and wow, much better. The uppers are much more forgiving so they're not tight even though I went for a size smaller (44's). With the insole they come with they don't offer enough arch support for me so I'm using a ++ (blue) BG insole in mine.

But basically you need to try them on and make your own decision, I wouldn't have thought sole stiffness would have been drastically different between them though (the s-works are certainly stiff enough for anyone).