(Another...) Thread asking about saddles

Chaz.Harding
Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
As my title suggest, I massively need a new saddle.

I had a Specialized BG FIT saddle before, which was ok for anything under about 90 minutes of riding (a full-on road bike). I always wear some padded cycling shorts too.

As I said, it was alrite, but got pretty uncomfortable after more than 90 min of cycling. So then I bought a Brooks saddle. It was a bit more comfortable, but not amazing. After about 90 minutes, I came back, had a shower, and then...

Tried to take a slash, and it was literally like p*ssing out razors. It was AGONY. I went to see the doc, and he said I'd 'bruised my penis'. God only knows how, but needless to say, after that episode I've fell out with the Brooks.

I KNOW any suggestions on saddles are TOTALLY personal, but I need one with a groove or a cut-out in the middle for the nerve between my ass and willy, but otherwise, I don't really know.

What do you guys use? Any suggestions?
Boo-yah mofo
Sick to the power of rad
Fix it 'till it's broke

Comments

• I have this: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAS ... ion-saddle

It's awesome! Can ride for hours on this with no saddle related discomfort! Does your LBS offer a try before you buy?

With your brooks saddle, did you give it a chance to break in? My Brooks is amazingly comfortable (much more so then the SI just not suited for my road needs).
  • Chaz.Harding
    To be fair, I've not really gave it a chance to break it in.

However - I put it on for a ride on Wednesday, and I've only just been able to begin to p*ss again, without literally being crippled by pain in my cock.

I mean, I'm all for giving stuff a second chance, but there is NO WAY I'm going through that pain again just for a damn saddle.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    But I will add, I've used it on my other bike for a few months, but not so frequently.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    have you tried adjusting the saddle. it might just need moving a bit to be more comfortable?
  • Chaz.Harding
    Sorry, I should have said in my original post, I'd adjusted it a bit on the ride. I t felt fine when I was on the bike. Bit more comfortable than my BG FIT saddle. No pains. When I got off at the end, fine also. No pain.

Just when I came to take a slash I was crippled, lol.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I've just switched to a Fizik Arione Versus, as my regular Arione was giving putting too much pressure on the perineum area.

It has cured that problem 100%, although in moving pressure away from the centre of the saddle it is less comfortable on the sit bones that the original arione for me.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, though not as extreme as Chaz's. I just got Pins & Needles in the gentleman's area, a novel and not alltogether unpleasant experience.
    I explained the problen to the chap at my LBS, who then measured my Botty Bones ( at least thats what he said he was doing.).
    On the strength of that I now have this;
    1479-5403-main-aliaswhite-1.jpg

This is the wider of the three sizes available, and the problem has gone away.
    Graham. :)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    Are you sure it's not gonhorrea? :lol:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Nuggs wrote:
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    Are you sure it's not gonhorrea? :lol:
    Yes mate.

As un update (which I'm sure no-one but me cares for), I'm peeing freely again now! WOOO!!!

Definitely not an STI / STD / whatever else they decide to call a case of dirty dick.

On the upside, I've found out my LBS does the Selle Italia saddle loan scheme, so I'm gonna try and get a saddle or two to try out (one at a time obviously....), and see how it goes. I'm not spending £80 / £90 / £100 + to try out a saddle for a single ride then HATE it. Too expensive...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke