Which Garmin?

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I currently use cyclemeter on my iPhone to record my rides but a recent 4&1/2hr ride was ended short when the battery died ( and yes i had everthing like wifi turned off)

So looking to upgrade to either Garmin 500 with HRM/Cadence at wiggle for £195 or Garmin 705 with HRM/Cadence at Amazon for £229. I ride around the NW of N.Ireland and know the roads well so dont really need the mapping but is there anymore benefits of the 705 over the 500?

Comments

• Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    buy my 500 8)

I want to follow rule 74 properly
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    If you run worth looking at 310XT also.
    I bought my Garmin from here.
    Seem to be cheapest i know off..

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2337/garmin-edge-500-heart-rate-monitor---speed-cadence
  • derbygrimpeur
    derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
    +1 for Handtec

Got my Edge 800 from them.

If you don't need the mapping, don't bother with the 705.
  • antlaff
    Really want the bundle for the 500 in black but prices are £220+. Handtec have no stock of the 500 in blue or black so next best price is wiggle at £195 but they wouldnt do the black package at this price.

I want it for my red/black Extensor which comes next week and the blue will clash!!
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    I will and will let you have a new hrm belt and the box
  • antlaff
    I will and will let you have a new hrm belt and the box

what you got and how much?

is it not exempt from rule 74 as no mapping?
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    antlaff wrote:
    I currently use cyclemeter on my iPhone to record my rides but a recent 4&1/2hr ride was ended short when the battery died ( and yes i had everthing like wifi turned off)

So looking to upgrade to either Garmin 500 with HRM/Cadence at wiggle for £195 or Garmin 705 with HRM/Cadence at Amazon for £229. I ride around the NW of N.Ireland and know the roads well so dont really need the mapping but is there anymore benefits of the 705 over the 500?

Cheaper to get a sleeve/ battery for the iPhone no? I was tempted today at Dixons in Stansted (£39) but figured I can get it cheaper online. Will probably only use it for long rides...
  • antlaff
    yaya wrote:
    antlaff wrote:

Cheaper to get a sleeve/ battery for the iPhone no? I was tempted today at Dixons in Stansted (£39) but figured I can get it cheaper online. Will probably only use it for long rides...

You're worse then my wife, thinking of ways not to spend money on cycling!! My company iPhone is due an upgrade, been holding off until an announcement on the iPhone5!! Will hold off until June.