Spitting off the chain

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Shimano 105 - since I renewed the chain (and occasionally beforehand) - I shed the chain up the upshift from small to big ring on my FSA compact.

I've religiously followed the various guides on YouTube but I either seem to get a very lazy upshift (or none at all) or it spits the chain off the other side (especially, it seems, if I'm in a high gear at the rear). I've removed as much slack from the cable as seems to make sense. A quarter turn on the stop adjuster screw seems to swap it from lazy to shedding.

I've compared what I can with my Variado 105 (on Shimano compact) and can't find any significant differences.

Any ideas?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I get this symptom if the derailleur is not parallel with the chainrings.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • meanredspider
    DesWeller wrote:

Ah - OK - did also wonder if the derailleur is damaged in some way. Will take a look.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    just had the same problem, fitted a £12 Mavic chain and despite all the correct checks and adjustments it would still overshift off the big ring. went and bought a KMC chain for £18, seems to have solved the problem. These are the two chains.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CHKMX1093-SIL/kmc-x10-93-chain---silvergrey

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33382

The best thing about the cheap mavic was the wipperman joining link
  • meanredspider
    DesWeller wrote:

Top spot - thank you. Only slightly mis-aligned but, combined with a bit of fine adjustment of the cable tension, very sweet shifting today (best-ever on this bike)

@tincaman - I'm sure the new chain on mine exacerbated the problem (I think it's KMC anyway), it doesn't seem to have been the root cause.

Whatever, I was nearly 1mph quicker this morning at 19.2 mph and certainly my fastest time of the year (great given it was only 4C). Determined to break 20mph this year.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Glad to hear it's all sorted!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}