wheel upgrade

eatmorechips
eatmorechips Posts: 8
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I've got a Defy 1 2009 which came with Mavic CXP 22 rims, hubs have no markings for identification. How much would I need to spend to upgrade my wheels to notice any difference. My rear wheel is popping spokes but I'm only 11.5 stone. I don't want to spend £150 to get replacements of a similar standard. I'm drawn towards Fulcrum racing 5's or shimano rs30's. Any thoughts?
Raleigh Grifter
Raleigh Milk Race
GT Outpost
GT LTS3
Giant Defy 1
Cube Team Race

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If your wheel is popping spokes you should get it rebuilt with new spokes.

As for the upgrade, almost anything will be better than what you've got. What's your budget? Best/lightest of the cheaper wheels would probably be the Planet X Model B's.

Lots of threads on wheels if you do a search....
    More problems but still living....
  • I've taken a look at many of the threads on wheels, a rebuild is an option but i think it may be worth spending the cash on better wheels. Budget is up to £200 but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with something the same as the cxp's. I've noticed that the Fulcrum racing 5's come on some of the cube bikes and wasn't sure whether they are entry level wheels of a similar standard to what I have already??
    Raleigh Grifter
    Raleigh Milk Race
    GT Outpost
    GT LTS3
    Giant Defy 1
    Cube Team Race
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The Fulcrum R5's are much better than your current wheels. Even the Fulcrum R7's are much better than your current wheels.
    More problems but still living....
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I had similar wheels on my roubaix, and they weigh a ton. something like 3.5kg for both wheel s inc tyres tubes and cassette

You would be better of buying a decent set of wheels for about £300, and fitting new tyres and tubes

I bought a pair of roval fusee in a sale ( 1468g as opposed to 2250 for the mavics ) and a pair of schwalbe ultremos to replace the standard rubber, and a pair of turbo tubes

Massive difference, saved a kilo in weight and better rolling resistance with the new tyres.

Cost- about £300 all in
  • drkawaszelong
    drkawaszelong Posts: 260
    amaferanga wrote:
    As for the upgrade, almost anything will be better than what you've got. What's your budget? Best/lightest of the cheaper wheels would probably be the Planet X Model B's.

+1 for the model b's, cheap light and strong, i.e,they can take my 14 stone from bristol to london!
    also come in white now lol

but for around 300quid you could look at some chinese carbon wheels on ebay, there's a forum about that on here somewhere as well.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Whatever you end up buying (and I'm not convinced the Fulcrum 7's are "much better than your current wheels", fwiw) make sure you keep your OEM set. You could do the rebuild yourself, which is probably the only cost effective way of getting them done anyway. That way you learn a lot about wheels and end up with a decent enough set for winter/emergency use or leave the old cassette/tyre on the rear and you have the perfect option for your turbo. It might take a couple of goes to get the wheels built right but well worth it.

As others have said, have a poke around on the search facility as wheels come up every few days and there are lots of good opinions on wheel choice as well as the "will I notice a difference" thing.