Helmet manufacturers crash replacement policy

spezial
spezial Posts: 142
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Had a bit of a crash recently and damaged my Catlike Whisper helmet. I'm happy to say it did it's job, and although I ended up with some nasty injuries, I dread to think what would've happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Don't want to enter into another debate about whether we should be obliged to wear them, but I am interested to know which manufacturers have any kind of policy for replacing crash damaged helmets at a reduced cost, or even for free. Catlike don't have either of these, and considering the price of their helmets, I am now considering switching brands for a company that do have this kind of thing in place, even though I know for sure that I can land on my head at high speed wearing a Catlike and come out the other side!

Anyone read the small print or guarantees that come with their helmets and know who does what, or have any stories to tell?
"what's it pertaining?"

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Why should any helmet manufacturer make an offer such as this?

It's a bit like a car manufacturer offering to repair and replace air bags after a car accident.

You buy the helmet to protect your head in the case of a crash. If it does its job then it has been money well spent. Throw it away and start again.

Move on.
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    @Navrig - BUT if you have just gone down the road and got up thanks to the helmet wouldn't you be thankful and be thinking about maybe getting the same again?

I personally swear by MET helmets (mostly due to my odd shaped head that they fit) but i believe they do offer a crash replacement policy of some type as well. Even if they dont i will buy them again
  • JamieW
    @ Navrig - Sorry didn't read last paragraph properly.

Each to their own on helmets. If i had the choice as above for helmet choice.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    JamieW wrote:
    @Navrig - BUT if you have just gone down the road and got up thanks to the helmet wouldn't you be thankful and be thinking about maybe getting the same again?

Yes I would but having spent £XX I would regard it as well spent and would not expect the manufacturer to fork out for my accident.
    JamieW wrote:
    I personally swear by MET helmets (mostly due to my odd shaped head that they fit) but i believe they do offer a crash replacement policy of some type as well. Even if they dont i will buy them again

So they fit and appear protect your head. Meaning you would buy one again after an accident regardless of money back offer.

I would prefer to keep buying a helemt which works rather than one which offers a replacement after a crash.
  • JamieW
    Navrig - i completely agree with you. I would buy another one which fits, even if Met didn't have a replecement policy (which i have never used).
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Persinally, I think you are getting a bit uptight about a perfectly reasonable (and often extremly helpful) form af marketing.
    I think it is stupid to complain about a service which saves you money after the product has possibly saved your life. Its a win win really. But I do agree that a crash replacement service is useless if the helmet doesn't do its job and you die as a result of a crash.

Also being a moutain biker, crash replacement is extremly useful as it is quite easy to smash your head in a crash and not having to shell out up to £400 for some full face lids to get back on the bike.

I know specialized helmets have a two years crash replacement policy which gives 50% off a replacement.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    In reply to the OP's question - Giro helmets offer a reduced priced helmet exchange after damage, you need to send the damaged helmet and receipt to a 3rd party (madison) who organises the exchange.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    A guy I ride with has had Specialized one replaced either free or very cheap a few times, which is good cause he is amazingly talented at breaking stuff. He's the only person I've seen nearly shear a front mech off :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    as brin says, giro do...

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/

tends to be about 25-30% cheaper than buying a new one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Limar offer free replacement (at least on the pro 104 they do).

Rather stupidly though I'd didn't send off the ticket as I thought I'd never fall off! Still pleased with the way my Limar 104 protected my head when I got knocked off last June. Ended up in hospital overnight but was told it could've been a lot worse.

I have now bought another 104. I think I'll post the ticket this time!