10 speed powerlinks

Fudgie
Fudgie Posts: 68
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got a new bike with XT 3x10 and Shimano chain. On my 3x9 bike I use a powerlink and take the chain off periodically for a good clean.

For my emergency pack I've bought (belt and braces) some Shimano pins and a couple of KMC 10sp powerlinks (labelled OK for Shimano chains).

Question - is it OK to put one of these powerlinks in the chain permanently to make it easier to remove for cleaning?

Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't find a recent thread on it.
Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011

Comments

• stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    i'm sure its fine just like the 3x9 powerlinks.

if you ever buy more, just remember not to get the SRAM ones, as the 10 speed ones dont come undone.
  • The 10speed SRAM ones do come undone. They are very stiff and need a set of plyers but they definitely do come undone. Once in they are as tough, or tougher than the actual chain, I often have a chain with 4 or 5 in there :-)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The SRAM ones are not intended to be reusable though, irrespective of whether they do come apart.

KMC ones are properly reusable. IMO they're not as strong as a 'proper' link, but not worth worrying about!
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    eeerrr - are the power liks different for 9 and 10 speed chains? I've been using my old powerlinks on my new bike which is 10 speed. Not noticed any issues.... should I change it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    eeerrr - are the power liks different for 9 and 10 speed chains? I've been using my old powerlinks on my new bike which is 10 speed. Not noticed any issues.... should I change it?
    yes the chain is a different thickness.

Powerlinks come in 8 and 9 speed versions.

PowerLocks are 10speed only and are not reusable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fudgie
    Thanks for the answers, especially those that are using 10sp KMC connectors. When the chain needs cleaning, I'll split it and pop one on.

I had noticed that the SRAM ones are powerlocks as opposed to powerlinks which is why I went for KMC - which calls them chain connectors but doesn't say whether they're removable. KMC Chain Connectors

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 10 speed powerlock with SRAM are incredibly stiff to close.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I always just stand on the pedal, closes the Powerlock nicely, agree they're a bugger to try and do by hand! KMC ones are far better.
  • Fudgie
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I've just fitted a 10sp KMC connector to the Shimano chain on my Canyon. It was easy enough to lock but I'm buggered if I can get it off again! Looks to me like it's a locking one like the SRAM powerlock.

Unless anyone has any other ideas about making a 10sp chain removable for cleaning I guess I'll have to clean it in situ with the chain cleaning tool.

EDIT: I just checked on the KMC site and they confirm that it IS re-usable. So armed with that new-found confidence I tried again and it came off fairly easily. The power of the written word, eh? They do say to lube the pins before fitting it, which I'd forgotten to do.
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • I run the KMC on My ten Speed MTB with Shimano chain, Yes they are stiff to remove, i find a dry cloth helps to grip, although you can get KMC Removal pliers which might help, i am getting a pair when i remember to order them...

Had no problems with the strength of the KMC, mine comes off after every ride for a clean and is no weaker than when i first got it.

As other have said, The SRAM one is definitly only meant for one lock on, not reuse even though it is possible to remove.
    Giant Trance X2 2011 FS
    Rockrider HT
  • Fudgie
    although you can get KMC Removal pliers which might help, i am getting a pair when i remember to order them...
    I didn't know about those - but I do now! Thank you.
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011