Shimano Brake Bleed

jt_intheuk
jt_intheuk Posts: 146
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
rps20110429_210629.jpg

Hi there,
Bled my Shimano brakes (BR-M486) today for the first time. Followed the shimano tech docs, however after replacing the diaphragm and top cover and then pumping the brake lever, a small amount of fluid and bubbles escaped from a small aperture below the fixing screw as shown in the photo. Is this normal due to overflowing the reservoir before replacing the diaphragm and lid? Or did I somehow c*$ck it up?
I've got Soul.

Comments

• cagebomb
    cagebomb Posts: 47
    Did you do up the screws tight enough?

I just done my brakes 2 weeks ago and I got a bit seeping out just after I screwed down the cap, wiped it off and it was fine.

Maybe your gaskets perished or got dirt under it?
  • jt_intheuk
    jt_intheuk Posts: 146
    Pretty sure the screws are tight enough. Will check the gasket again in the morning, however I think I might have misread the instructions as well. Filled reservoir, fitted gasket, poured more fluid on gasket then fixed lid. Must have had a blonde moment.
    I've got Soul.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Replacing the cap will usually cause a little oil to spill. Once sealed and wiped clean any oil on the outside ain't meant to be there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    Pretty sure the screws are tight enough. Will check the gasket again in the morning, however I think I might have misread the instructions as well. Filled reservoir, fitted gasket, poured more fluid on gasket then fixed lid. Must have had a blonde moment.

That's what leaked out
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Usually the bit of excess fluid helps seal the diaphragm and top cover, so when you tighten it, a bit will always leak out. This is not a bad thing. The problem would be if after wiping it away, it continues to leak out when pumping the lever. This would suggest to me that the top is not on tight enough, or you have some crap between the cover and calliper where it should seal.
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    jt_intheuk wrote:

supposed to fill the reservoir, roll the diaphragm on and then put the top cap on, dont put fluid between the diaphragm and the top cap.