built the bike a bit too front heavy

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually, they tested it on the moon, in 1969, And found that it's true. Mass has no effect on gravitational pull, or the speed an object falls at. Of course they tested it in vacuums first, but the moon demo was still groundbreaking.
    There is zero chance of making a bike light enough for air resistance to reduce nosediving.
    And quite apart from that, your heavy fork story is bullcrap. Your weight is significabtly greater than the bike. Your body position will have such a vastly larger effect on the bike's handling that bike "balance" is cometely, and utterly non effective.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Dude you are so wrong it hurts.

Galileo proved it 500 years ago.

Also everyone knows the moon landings were faked,

I am also amazed you know how my bike rides.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    Sorry that was very badly worded after a few stellas. Mass does affect gravitational pull, of course it does, that's what gravity IS, but a heavier object will not fall faster than a light object, towards the earth.
    The reason is similar to why your forks made no difference. The mass of the earth, pulling the objects towards it is huge, compared to the near nonexistent gravity produced by the objects. So, the heavy object has no more attraction to the earth (no more than a fraction of a trillionth of a bilionth etc etc of a second).
    Similarly, different forks will weigh within a pound or two of each other, whereas with a simple lean of your bodyweight, you can apply several kilos of extra force.
  • cavegiant
    Force is measured in kilos now is it?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    You know exactly what I mean. (although that may be having too much faith in you).
    I also reckon that, though you may not have known I was drunk, thatyou do know that I got "mass" and "weight" mixed up in the post before.
    You're still full of shite, even if both those two guesses about you are true.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    so the gist of this thread is.

body position on bike can change how your bike behaves.feels.

Adding different length stems, layback posts moves your weight around the bike, changing balance point and consequently feel.

Adding heavy forks may help the handling of the bike (I would hazard that these heavy forks were of higher quality, giving improved damping which may have made it feel better) but moving your body a bit further forward may have had the same result.

Come on folks, this is basic stuff, move body forward on the climbs to add weight to a wandering front wheel, move it back on steep drops. Move weight back and a little spurt of power will lighten the front enough to land you on your a$$.

What do they teach kids these days?
    FCN 12
  • cavegiant
    You know exactly what I mean. (although that may be having too much faith in you).
    I also reckon that, though you may not have known I was drunk, thatyou do know that I got "mass" and "weight" mixed up in the post before.
    You're still full of shite, even if both those two guesses about you are true.

It took you this long to work out I was pulling your leg?

Piss taking aside; you seem to imply that the only force acting on a bike is gravity when taking in to account balance.

Are you sure that is a sensible assumption?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cavegiant wrote:
    wee-wee taking aside; you seem to imply that the only force acting on a bike is gravity when taking in to account balance.

Are you sure that is a sensible assumption?

what else needs to be taking into account?
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    It's all about balance, not weight. I changed my (pig heavy) Tora forks to (flyweight) Fox FL100's & the difference was staggering. Bike just flowed so much better, especially through the air. The lighter front end enabled me to position my body better, though I do miss the Toras travel sometimes.