built the bike a bit too front heavy

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    layback seatpost.

And describe the actual problem Wink
    think ill try the layback seatpost, kcnc t4r. thanks, sorry.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    '
    If 'B' then it may have some tiny, tiny effect
    Therefore a heavy front end won't drop significantly quicker

I'm glad we agree :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    What a strange thread, are people just arguing for the sake of it? As Yeeha rightly said adding weight anywhere will not help move your body back, most hardtails will be front heavy as most forks probably weigh more than the frame.

And those slating Blister pus, have you never ridden a bicycle to the point of almost complete exhaustion? where you can barely turn the cranks in the granny ring on the flat let alone lift the front up over obstacles? If you haven't then go ride harder and longer i know that feeling but only get there after about 8-10 hours in the saddle these days but everyone has different fitness levels.
  • bobpzero wrote:
    layback seatpost.

Remember, if you use a layback seatpost, you'll need a shorter stem.

As a starting point, the distance from the nose of your saddle to bars should be the same as from your elbow to your fingertips. If you're miles away from this, then your frame is the wrong size.
  • bails87
    bobpzero wrote:
    layback seatpost.

No worries, it's just hard to help when the problem is so vague.

TBH, I think a shorter stem might be the better bet.
    MTB/CX

• Noclue wrote:
    What a strange thread, are people just arguing for the sake of it? As Yeeha rightly said adding weight anywhere will not help move your body back, most hardtails will be front heavy as most forks probably weigh more than the frame.

And those slating Blister pus, have you never ridden a bicycle to the point of almost complete exhaustion? where you can barely turn the cranks in the granny ring on the flat let alone lift the front up over obstacles? If you haven't then go ride harder and longer i know that feeling but only get there after about 8-10 hours in the saddle these days but everyone has different fitness levels.

Yeah mate, I never ride for longer than 5 mins. But clearly you're a ninja, lasting 8-10 hrs before getting tired. You legend.
  • bails87
    Has everyone been drinking or something?! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• I have!

Zero interest in the Royal Wedding + getting dragged to a street party = me drinking through it.

TBH, after a few beers, my tolerance for stupidity goes down to zero and I just become blunt with people. I am going to go to bed, because some of the posts on this forum are making my head hurt! :P
  • bobpzero
    going for a 40mm stem. from elbow to finger tip length should be the nose of the saddle to the face plate of the stem?
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    edited April 2011
    Noclue wrote:

Yeah mate, I never ride for longer than 5 mins. But clearly you're a ninja, lasting 8-10 hrs before getting tired. You legend.

Tw@t, people like you have made this by far the worse mtb forum about at the moment, i didn't even aim that post at any particular person, just pointing out that it is quite feasible to exhaust yourself riding and agreeing with Blister pus, clearly you never have and i touched a raw nerve concerning your stamina. :evil:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bobpzero wrote:
    going for a 40mm stem. from elbow to finger tip length should be the nose of the saddle to the face plate of the stem?

why?

good luck going up any hills.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bobpzero
    nicklouse wrote:
    bobpzero wrote:

why?

good luck going up any hills.

because im stupid. i should know ive been stupid in some of the parts ive bought. should i leave the bike the way it is and sort myself out?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    for gods sake man tell us what the freaking problem is so we can answer you.
  • bobpzero
    the problem is being dealt with. no more replies please.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    what a dingus
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bobpzero wrote:
    Is that a challenge?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    bobpzero wrote:

so what are you doing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the op has the same bike as i have, and i think i know what he means, what ive found is compared to my Mojo Hd the front feels heavy when going over a drop/jump etc, which ive purely put down to the difference in geometry, im just speculating of course, but this is what it sounds like, as he also has the same forks as i have and a similar spec and overall weight, for me its a niggle i can live with, as i hardly ride it anymore, but it sounds like the op needs a new frame with a slacker head angle as he's trying make what is effectively a xc bike into a more all mountain orientated bike
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Lawman, you forgot to insult someone. :wink:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bobpzero
    nicklouse wrote:
    so what are you doing?

put on the layback seatpost and leave the rest as it is.
    nicklouse wrote:
    looking through the spec I feel he has built himself the wrong bike.

there is nothing heavy about that build.
    what would you say i need to do to get it right?
  • nicklouse
    a different frame. as Lawman also says.

basically too much fork is pushing the wheel out making the front feel heavy.

but as i have yet to see a picture of the bike side on (all your pics are unavailable) it is hard to say.

but also look ate getting the fork Modded down to 120mm of travel as 140 is too much for the frame.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't understand why a heavy front end is a problem. My hardtail has a set of 2.9kg Domains on the front and is very front end heavy but I can still manual it, the front never drops when I'm in the air unless I do something stupid & it rides extremely well other than the whole bike being a touch heavy.
    Oh yes, everyone who has posted on this thread is an areshole :D
  • bobpzero
    nicklouse wrote:

but as i have yet to see a picture of the bike side on (all your pics are unavailable) it is hard to say.

but also look ate getting the fork Modded down to 120mm of travel as 140 is too much for the frame.
    something like a sanderson blitz frame? as long as its in blue.

hope this is photo helps
    bike side profile pic
    check with crc for the fork modding?
    need to keep this as simple and hopefully cost effective as possible within reason. im sh** at explaining stuff.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited May 2011
    bobpzero wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

something like a sanderson blitz frame? as long as its in blue.

hope this is photo helps
    bike side profile pic
    check with crc for the fork modding?
    need to keep this as simple and hopefully cost effective as possible within reason. im sh** at explaining stuff.

It's what Lawman said, I've also got one and its the frame. They have a short front end (top tube) ie when you stand up on the pedals (attack position) it feels like all your weight is over the front, you feel like your going to end up over the bars................ does that sound about right?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think I know what you mean..........I've got one and its the frame, they have a short front end (top tube) ie when you stand up on the pedals it feels like all your weight is over the front, you feel like your going to end up over the bars................ does that sound about right?

Surely a few spacers under the stem or a set of riser bars would soon sort that?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I think I know what you mean..........I've got one and its the frame, they have a short front end (top tube) ie when you stand up on the pedals it feels like all your weight is over the front, you feel like your going to end up over the bars................ does that sound about right?

Surely a few spacers under the stem or a set of riser bars would soon sort that?

It's going to be a trade off because you can only go so far before the front end starts to wander on the climbs and you find yourself sat on the nose of the saddle.

It's the one thing with the Maxlight I never got on with, it was purposely designed with a short top tube.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    My previous full suspension bike was a 2006 Marin Rift Zone. Despite it being a fairly light bike with fairly light forks and wheels it was quite difficult to land even a small drop or jump without the front wheel hitting the ground first.

I can land the same drops on my back wheel first with less effort on my 2008 Marin Wolf Ridge, despite it having singnificantly heavier forks (Pikes) and even when running a 1.2kg front tyre (I used to run a dual ply 2.5" swampthing) !

As others have said it sounds to me like its something to do with the geometry of the bike.

Stu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh for the love of...
    Heavier things don't fall faster.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Not that I ever disagree with yeemahgee you can build a bike out of balance.

The front end of my bike was to light and it made it hard to control. I stuck on a heavier fork, all problems solved.

It is personal, but for somethings, balance is more important than weight.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Oh for the love of...
    Heavier things don't fall faster.

They tested this in the 15th century, a guy held up a feather and a lead ball and dropped them.

The heavier object fell faster!

Scientific proof. :lol:
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?