New Rear Tyre for XC Hardtail

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have just spotted a slit in the sidewall of my Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 rear tyre.
Any suggestions as to a good rear tyre that rolls fast, is light, has a certain level of good grip/not too sketchy and is pretty good with being puncture resistant.
It is for an XC hardtail which does a lot of typical XC rding (Singletrack with chunky stones or without, fireroad, Road, grass etc).
I am running a panaracer razer xc 2.1 on the front.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Another Razer? Odd choice running the grippier tyre on the back in the first place.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ive just started using a Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the back (Rocket Ron front) and im really happy with it

Evo carcass so pretty light
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    kenda small block 8.

Get the 2.1, it rolls fast, grips surprisingly well, big enough to save your spine on longs rides.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • jakeeeeeee
    jakeeeeeee Posts: 270
    racing ralph 2.25.
  • griffter
    griffter Posts: 52
    specialized the captain 2.20 is a great rear xc tyre.and as i can see your from cardiff i assume you ride cwmcarn?its my local and that tyre has never let me down spesh in the summer.
    cube ams 150 race 2011
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    i like the maxxis ignitors or crossmark if it is dryer
  • jonnyboy66uk
    jonnyboy66uk Posts: 260
    I run a Rocket Ron on the back... Great tyre, rolls fast and grips on pretty much anything...
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Crossmark for me, Ignitor on the front.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • jwindeatt
    jwindeatt Posts: 50
    Maxxis Aspen on the rear Advantage front.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Put the Razer on the back and something nice and grippy like an Ardent or Nobby Nic on the front.