Trek Superfly 29er - frame size

simon44
simon44 Posts: 52
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm 5'10 with an inside leg of 34" and have test ridden the 17.5" superfly and it feels good, but I'd like to ride the 19" to be sure that I am looking at the right size. There arent any 19"s available to ride and so I was wondering on the off chance whether anyone of my size has ridden the two back to back and which one they decided to go for.

Many thanks,

Simon

Comments

• mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    simon44 wrote:
    Hi, I'm 5'10 with an inside leg of 34" and have test ridden the 17.5" superfly and it feels good, but I'd like to ride the 19" to be sure that I am looking at the right size. There arent any 19"s available to ride and so I was wondering on the off chance whether anyone of my size has ridden the two back to back and which one they decided to go for.

Simon

I haven't ridden the 17.5" but i have been on the 19" at a demo day and it was a very good fit. I am 6ft1 with a 35" inside leg. For me i think that you'd have to be approx 6ft to really enjoy the 19" frame.
    For the money the bike costs i'd definitely suggest you ride the 19" but if not then at 5ft10 i'd go for the 17.5".
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • simon44
    simon44 Posts: 52
    Thanks Mikeyj28, much appreciate your response, rather than the 'just go and ride both and see you what you think' as these 29ers are rare beasts! The 34" inside leg is slightly out of kilter with my height but when I rode the 17.5 I had some to spare on the standard seat post.

My first mtb was an Orange P7 17" and with this bike I test rode both the 19 and 17 back to back. The 19 was a better fit but I went for the 17 as I wanted a smaller frame for more manoevrability on the trails being a newbie.

What did you think to the bike when you rode it? I found it great up the climbs, quick and comfortable.

Cheers,

Simon