Monorail/Aspen/Crossmark/Larson

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

looking for a XC tyre for non technical, loose soil/sand/hardpack/tarmac type conditions and am wondering what combination to go for. I like the 2.3 High roller rear/ardent front combo for the more technical, rocky trails I was used in Wales so i thought a 2.1 crossmark rear/Aspen front would work well.

I don't need any help with technical stuff as there is nt any and I ve just sold the car so i have to ride/train to the trails so some ability to survive tarmac would be an advantage.

Any opinions?

Cheers guys!
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• iHypnOTyx
    iHypnOTyx Posts: 22
    I use a high roller 2.35 on the front and a larsen tt 2.00 on the rear for about 3/4s of my riding (i.e. most of spring and autumn and all of summer). The larsen is noticeably faster rolling than a 2.35 HR or a medusa 2.1 on the rear that I use in the winter, and so is ideal for me. Seems quick on the tarmac as well which is a bonus. The HR on the front feels slow on the tarmac, but its awesome for pretty much everything else! The larsen also seems super grippy on everything except really loose sandy dirt where it just slides a lot :)

Cant comment on which compound is best, because I have only used the LUST versions. I did briefly use a 2.35 HR in super tacky, but it felt like there was velcro inbetween the tyre and ground, so that came straight off again ;)
  • ddraver
    ok - so given that I ll be seeing alot of loose sandy dirt the Larson is out then...

Great work, thanks!!
    - @ddraver
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I thought the Larson was supposed to be great in dry dusty / sandy conditions? maybe I got it wrong?

A few of my mates run the Crossmark in the summer and they says its awesome on hardpack but rubbish when the surface is loose or when things get even a little wet.

I don't think the Aspen is as quick as the Crossmark but still quicker than most and it can cope with a lot more different conditions.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    well acording to Bike Radar and all the user comments below the review, the Larsen is supposed to work well in dry sandy conditions.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-maxxis-larsen-tt-19-9777/
  • ddraver
    still looking good for the Aspen/Crossmark combo then....
    - @ddraver