Lights & Mudguards

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for some cheap effective long lasting waterproof lights for my MTB, I know the "Cheap" bit may hinder the other wants but atm needs must, What do you guys recommend?

Also I have noticed that most bikes are sold without mudguards, Is there a real reason for this? Do you use mudguards? If so what is more important front or rear or both? And again any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    have a search around the forum for lights. theres loads of threads about them. have a look on dealextreme.com for p7 torches. cheap and bright!

as for mudguards, i dont really use them, a small one on the front is useful in the wet as it stops crap getting thrown up into your eyes, a rear one is only really useful for keeping mud off your back, if your commuting or whatever, then i guess it could come in handy, but for fun riding, ive never seen the point.

some people do use them though, a crudcatcher mounted on the downtube is reasonably effective and if you want slightly more protection, Topeak make some good ones, have a search around for the M1 and M2 set. otherwise a bender fender or crudcatcher is a safe bet (or both...)
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    +1 for Crudcatcher.

Protects your face from mud spray off the front tyre, and protects your downtube from any stones flicking up.
  • toastedone
    Thanks for the answers guys, I initially bought my bike for travelling to work and to help my fitness levels so on that score i guess the guards would be a help to me, but within a week of owning a new specalized bike I am keen to get off road and have some fun, I will probably get a guard or 2 for the week and remove them for the weekend.

I have also seen a few people advertising some trail course to teach you the basics of off roading, Would these course be invaluable to a newbie or better just to suck it and see.

Re deal extreme, are they not based in America? if so how long does delivery normally take.

Sorry for so many questions but I feel like I am getting the bug to make the most out of my bike.
  • Koiler
    deal extreme are based in china, but they deal in USD $. many, many people use them so dont be put off by the dollar thing or the distance.

standard delivery can vary depending on how busy they are, but expect about a 3 week wait. however, if you opt to pay for delivery, which i think is still subsidised and therefore pretty cheap, then its only about a weeks wait tops. i think last time i ordered, i had my stuff in 5 days. ive ordered stuff from this country thats taken longer to arrive :lol:

mudguards - I bought some of these for my (now ex) missus
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Defender ... t_8888.htm
    they kept her very clean and dry on her all off road commute (lucky so and so)

and if you feel the need, get a crud catcher as well to get any overspray, you can always leave it on at the weekends for a bit of protection when going off road
  • toastedone
    Again thanks, just another question regarding lights, is there a legal requirement on using lights on the road, i mean regarding brightness, I was also told that reflectors are a legal requirement on pedals, is that correct?

Btw if your in Bedford i used to live just down the road in the land of roundabouts.
  • Koiler
    not too sure on the laws regarding brightness, the P7 (and similar) torches are really bright though, so be sure to have them angled at the road, and not at drivers :lol:

IMO, provided the lights aren't dazzling drivers/ pedestrians, then the brighter the better really, more chance of being seen/ less chance of being run over.

I dont remember ever seeing anything that says you have to have them on the pedals, I think you have to have a red reflector on the back, and a white on the front, but im not 100% certain.

the land of roundabouts, guess you mean MK? i'd hope there's better riding where you are now than whats around here. gets a bit dull round these parts!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    front crudcatchers are useful for keeping your drink bottle clean
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport