Suitable Tyres for Dartmoor

Beanhead Bucko
Beanhead Bucko Posts: 98
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I’ve given the stock tyres on my Zesty a good chance but it’s time to get my wallet out and change both of them.

The Conti Race King 2.2 on the rear has been mostly good in these recent dry conditions, fast rolling, and great on the dry rocks and roots, but it locks up under braking too easily in the gravel and dusty tracks and I know it will be no good as soon as some rail falls.

The Conti Mountain King 2.4 on the front is mostly awful. It’s useless in the loose stuff, washes out on corners, locks up under braking, completely the opposite of confidence inspiring.

The bike has felt very sluggish and hard work across open moor, on the grass, this could be the tyres or could it just be the large profile of the tyres?

I don’t want anything too skinny as the bike suits a larger tyre. I’ve been looking at the Maxxis Advantage 2.25 60a just because I’ve seen them on offer but does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Cheers,

Bucko
2011 Lapierre Zesty 314

Comments

• devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Hi
    I've just put on Maxxis Aspen with a tubeless conversion and fine on Dartmoor. Will swap back to Scwalbe Fat Alberts for winter.
    All of these things....
  • Nobby Nics for the drier months and the for the winter bung on a Fat Albert up front.

That combo has served me for years all over Dartmoor...Drogo, Stepping Stones, Burrator, Hound Tor, any tor and everything in between!
  • I was very close to buying Schwalbe but I ended up with Maxxis Advantage 2.25 60a front and rear. They're awesome.
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • jonnyashworth
    jonnyashworth Posts: 547
    What pressures were you running the mountain king with??
    I have just put a pair of mountain king supersonics 2.4 on my remedy and rekon they will be almost perfect tyers for the dryer months on dartmoor (running at about 38psi) When the going gets wetter I tend to ride with a maxxis advantage 2.25 on the rear and a 2.35 mountain king up front at about 30psi but be warned if you thought you got drag off the conti's that setup will bring tears to your eyes! but give grip beyond measure. I would urge you to give the continental mountain king supersonics a go on both ends for the summer.
    The man to have a good natter to about this is Will at Bikus in Bovey hes forgotton more about riding on dartmoor than us mere mortals will ever know!
    Yeti SB66c 2013