A Real Novice - Charity Ride Help required....

GazzatheHaka
GazzatheHaka Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I'm posting on here hoping to get some sound advise, I have just committed myself to the Coast to Coast Dublin - Galway over 2 days 268miles on August 4th. I have JUST ordered a bike within my budget Muddy Fox Blade road bike. This is my first bike in 10 years!!! I have a decent level of fitness through mainly running 30/40k a week road and or gym. I have committed to do this ride and would appreciate some help and direction on where to start - Including, gym, road rides how far weekly/ daily etc

I am flexible for eating plans , suppllements as I reckon I need to lose a stone - I know I need a lot!!!

And anything else anyone can advise....

Thanks

Comments

• minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    I'm not very experienced but here's what I've learn't over the last few months after having my interest in cycling re-stoked after years of University and Bevvy malaise.

1. All you can do is ride - I've not found the gym much help expect for spinning classes which seem to help on the hills. But you really have to kill yourself

2. Eat lots - more than you think you need to on a long(ish) ride. I used to ride 60 and 70 milers on 4 bananas. Used to get tired at the end -last 10 miles. Solved this with peanut butter sandwiches, malt loaf, energy drink as well as bananas. Now feel fresh no matter how far I go. Drink lots of water too.

3. If your fit, start with 30 miles next weekend 40, then 50, then 60, 60, 70, 70, 80, 80, 100? They say 10% increase, but I think you can do more than that.

4. One of the most annoying things I get is shoulder and arm ache. This gets better with time though...
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    As above.

Work your way up to distance and then when you get to about 80 miles do about 50 on consecutive days.

You need to get used to being in the saddle for long periods.

Get decent bib shorts, I use Shutt VR bibs. You ought to get two pairs, nothing worse than skanky shorts!

Udderly Smooth cream, to, stops your bits from getting sore!

Don't forget to have days off from the exercise, give your body time to recover

Good luck
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Thanks for all your advice lads - I'm hoping to get the bike Tuesday/Wednesday.. I'll take it all in let you know my progress - I'm sure I'll be back on here soon to ask a few more questions?

If anyone else can add to this please do..
  • minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    Oh, yeah forgot shorts! And like Rich Hcp says get BIB shorts! not the ones with a waste band. Bibs are way way more comfy, and I would guess they will fit better as you start to lose weight. I had the tie waste ones and as I lost weight I had to tie it really tight to hold them up - not comfy! Bibs cost a bit more but it really is worth it!

Enjoy the ride!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Clipless pedals, if you haven't thought about this already. Forget the plastic toe things and go for something like MTB (M520/540) or Road (R540) but make sure the shoes you get have a decent stiff sole and fit well. I am still trying to talk my wife into this but I think it is a big step for normal folks to be clipped into a bike but christ the difference is incredible (oh, and you will fall over at some point :) )
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Clipless pedals, if you haven't thought about this already. Forget the plastic toe things and go for something like MTB (M520/540) or Road (R540) but make sure the shoes you get have a decent stiff sole and fit well. I am still trying to talk my wife into this but I think it is a big step for normal folks to be clipped into a bike but christ the difference is incredible (oh, and you will fall over at some point :) )

Where would you recommend the best place to get these from?
  • Rich Hcp
    You can get the pedals on line, as said you need to decide whetherr to get MTB or road type.

I went for Shimano Road (Tiagra)

Shoes, you need to try them, not too tight. not too loose.

I've got Specialized road shoes, they've got velcro fixings, I found laced ones go tight in the wrong places,so I avoid them.

As you need to try the shoes, I'd go to the local Bsike shop, you may pay a little more but get good advice.

However, if money is tight, try Wiggle's dhb shoes, they're well rated and they take returns (Although check the T&Cs before you buy)

Hope thats not too confusing :shock:

Clipless is definately the way to go
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    having always rode mtb i have had these fitted http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=3759
    ive now had a road bike for few months and fitted them on that also and bought these shoes http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-bg-sport-item146415.html
    most comfortable shoes ive had..
  • Rich Hcp
    I have the road veersion of those shoes.

I just rememebred that the shoes are tight, I normally take a size 42, but my cycling shoes are a 43
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Right - First ride in 10 years done.... Wow!

My mate decided to try my fitness in and around the hilly areas of North Wales... Not a great beginniing, couldn't even manage the gears at first!!

Anyway I've completed 8 hilly miles to start with in around 45mins..My back was hurting most?! I think I need to take the bike in for advise as I'm not sure on the exact heights and allighnments I need other than from the internet.

Think I'll do some flatter training first...get the miles in the old legs.

I did feel drained during the ride - When would you suggest the best time is to eat? And what?

Thanks
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    From a million cyclist you will get a million different responses to "what should I eat/drink", and a further million per million about when!! =D

When did you start feeling knackered? For me, as a generally "ok" in terms of fitness but overweight 6'4" guy, 30 mins I eat something high in carbs along with a good slurp of maltodextrin loaded drink, and that sets me up for a while.

After this I graze on nibbles and drink small gulps whenever I find the time as I havent yet mastered the art of eating/drinking in the saddle

WIthout fuel I want to kill myself after 30 miles... With, I finish my final sprint home uphill and wish I had plotted a longer route!
    exercise.png
  • I've now completed two days consecutive 15 miles - aiming to get to 30 miles over the weekend (not sure if consecutive yet) - Still building up for August the 4th....

If you were to build towards this 240 miles over 2 days between now and then how would you suggest I plan my time? 10 weeks to go??
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Get some riding buddies. All the gear and nutrition will not make up for having some company, especially when sharing the effort into a head wind.