Campag veloce chain rub on chainset.

Flying Flea
Flying Flea Posts: 4
edited May 2011 in Workshop
I have just purchased a Ribble ultra light with Campag 10 speed Veloce groupset.
Have noticed when riding that chain rubs on inner chain ring when largest rear sprocket used and rest of gears feel very rough almost as if the chain is incompatible with the chainset despite it also being a campag 10.
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you have just bought the bike it might be worth calling the shop first?
  • bcmf
    bcmf Posts: 25
    Did you bike the bike new or used? From Ribble or other bike shop or from a private individual?

Either way sounds like a RD or cassette problem.
    If the cassette was taken off it is possible that the spacers were not put back in the right order. This would throw the running of the chain arseways.
    Could also be a bent hangar or RD cage.
  • Thanks guys,
    The bike is new form said people and the RD and casette all seem fine, thinking it may be a bottom bracket spindle that is too long- misaligning the the chainset with casette??
  • bcmf
    If its a Ultra Torque crankset its highly unlikley as the spindle is not adjustable.
    If it is happening in all the gears all the time I would take a look at cassette. The spacers may seem okay but with Campy they must be put in a specific order. As far as I remember there are 3 or 4 different sized spacers. If its new bring it back if possible.
  • Took the bike back to Ribble, bit of a long trip but felt it was the best way. The mechanics disappeared with it for about 20 mins and reappeared having worked their magic and now all seems alot better, however, they did say that budget campag is fairly noisy unlike shimano which tends to be quieter!? having now ridden the bike I have to say I am v pleased with result and purchase. Cheers guys at Ribble.
  • bcmf
    Took the bike back to Ribble, bit of a long trip but felt it was the best way. The mechanics disappeared with it for about 20 mins and reappeared having worked their magic and now all seems alot better, however, they did say that budget campag is fairly noisy unlike shimano which tends to be quieter!? having now ridden the bike I have to say I am v pleased with result and purchase. Cheers guys at Ribble.
    The shifting is 'clunkier' then 'buttery' with Shimano. Wouldnt say it runs quieter and I have ridden many kms on both budget (Veloce and 105) names.
    Would love to know what they did? Glad you got sorted.
    Remember with Campy from new it takes a little time to bed in but once its in its in for good.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Sounds like end stop issue and barrel adjustment, I would have DIY...saves trip.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)