anyone use Clarks triple compound 55mm pads?

stardude
stardude Posts: 255
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
hiya

looking at getting some new pads and these caught my eye. they have some good reviews, but i was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them?

9.99 for one set of 2 holders and 4 cartridges.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55815

55815.jpg

the other option is swissstop greens, but at around £25 for just 4 replacement cartridges i would also need to factor in another set of holders, and i am pretty skint at the moment.

cheers

adam

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,938
    I can't answer your question (sorry!) but I'd be interested in the answer as I'm looking to find alternative pads (and cartridge) in my Tektro brakes. I'm guessing these would fit the Tektro alright.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I ordered two pairs from my supplier, the pad compound was rock solid and didn't look like it would offer any braking improvement over my stock tektro pads. Sent them straight back and will wait till I need some new pads to buy some swiss stop or Koolstop pads & holders.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    in stark contrast to the above, i have been using them for a little over a month now and have been impressed with the performance, and i only bought them because they were cheap.
    i would recommend.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    DaveHudson wrote:
    I ordered two pairs from my supplier, the pad compound was rock solid and didn't look like it would offer any braking improvement over my stock tektro pads. Sent them straight back and will wait till I need some new pads to buy some swiss stop or Koolstop pads & holders.

I thought the same when i got mine but decided to fit them anyway and was very suprised at how good they were. They offer brilliant and instant braking and considerably better than the mildly worn ultegra pads that they replaced which shuddered quite a bit. I have now fitted the Clarks multi pads on both my bikes and have no reason to use anything else. More than happy with them and at €8.99 for two holders and 4 cartridges from CRC they're extremely reasonably priced.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Use them all the time now, excellent all round performance, always pick up a pair at CRC when they are on offer. Currently at £6.99 for 2 sets of pads and one pair holders
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    stardude wrote:
    the other option is swissstop greens, but at around £25 for just 4 replacement cartridges i would also need to factor in another set of holders, and i am pretty skint at the moment.

Simple solution. Buy the Clarks now. Try them and see how you like them. If they are great, fine. If not so good, buy the Swissstops. Take the Clarks off your front (leaving them on the back - they should be fine on the back at least - you don't want the back to be super grabby) and put the Swissstop pads in the Clarks cartridges for the front. Save the front Clarks pads to replace the rear Clarks pads when they eventually wear out.

The Swissstop cartridges cost a lot - I experimented with Shimano type holders on my Ribble by buying a set of Barradine pads and holders from Ribble. They cost less than the Swissstop holders alone and the pads were actually fine.
    Faster than a tent.......