C2W - Fair market value my ar*e.

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
The scoundrels charged me £5 to transfer the £1000 Boardman into my name after a year!
:D:D
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• I thought it had changed now so the fair market value had to be something like 20% of the original cost of the bike or something like that to avoid ridiculously low values at the end.

I thought if the value was less than this you had to justify it... Bike damaged etc.

Is this not the case?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Shush

The tax man will hear you.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I thought it had changed now so the fair market value had to be something like 20% of the original cost of the bike or something like that to avoid ridiculously low values at the end.

I thought if the value was less than this you had to justify it... Bike damaged etc.

Is this not the case?
    Yes, HMRTC assume FMV at 1 year for a £1k bike is 25%. Your employer can give you the bike for £0 if they wish, you just pay tax at your rate on £250, which would be £50, £100 or £125 depending on what rate you're on, deducted through paye over the following year.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21667a.htm

You can also argue the fmv is less than their estimate.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    alfablue wrote:
    I thought it had changed now so the fair market value had to be something like 20% of the original cost of the bike or something like that to avoid ridiculously low values at the end.

Is this not the case?
    Yes, HMRTC assume FMV at 1 year for a £1k bike is 25%. Your employer can give you the bike for £0 if they wish, you just pay tax at your rate on £250, which would be £50, £100 or £125 depending on what rate you're on, deducted through paye over the following year.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21667a.htm

You can also argue the fmv is less than their estimate.

Not sure of the specifics but I'd assume HR have done their homework ('tis a bank)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bank - done their homework - first time for everything I guess!

Worst case you get taxed on it, which is still less than you 'should' have paid!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    I got a letter from my employer about the new rules - I'll just pay the tax on the 25% value, so about £40 ish (on a £550 bike and lower-rate tax payer).
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    The scoundrels charged me £5 to transfer the £1000 Boardman into my name after a year!
    :D:D

Clearly they left a zero off when working out the final amount! lucky you!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Spawny git! :lol:
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I have an even more spawny trump card.

My scheme (second time round for me), just ended. No FMV payment at all, no letter, nothing. First time I got the letter and had to pay the old FMV. This time nada.

Get in!