Smog Alert

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Undesirable consequence of hot, sunny weather....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13161431
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    All good news has to be counter acted :(
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Fortunately this is one "England and Wales" story I don't mind is only England and Wales.

If only we had enough warm weather for smog....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fortunately this is one "England and Wales" story I don't mind is only England and Wales.

If only we had enough warm weather for smog....

Has it stopped snowing yet?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The good news that comes with smog is pretty sunsets.

Anyway, being a Londoner, I don't trust air I can't see.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Smog - you guys don't know the meaning of the word - try Bejing in midsummer when combined with a dust storm from the Gobi
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,664
    Really noticed this falling air quality last night - coughing away most of the evening.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13161431

And here's me thinking it's the hundreds of thousand of combustion engines spitting out crap!
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Surely the consequence of too many petrol-powered vehicles?

Edit: Doh! Synchronicity rules - great minds think alike - fools seldom differ.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Normally from my bedroom window I can see Canary Wharf and all of the bigger buildings in Docklands. Canary Wharf is 11.1 miles away.

Right now, its a bright sunny morning and I can't see Alexandra Palace which is 3.5 miles away.

On the plus side, I've just found a website that will measure the direct distance between two (or more) points on a map.

• tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    It buggers up my chest astma gets worse but i carry on riding just take more steroids to combat astma
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • EKE_38BPM
    Smog update:
    I can now see Canary Wharf and Ally Pally.

I guess its just the pollution you can't see thats in the air now, not the particulates. Lovely.

• tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    London is poor but the worst i have come across is Athens that is grim in high summer
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Zachariah wrote:
    Surely the consequence of too many petrol-powered vehicles?

Edit: Doh! Synchronicity rules - great minds think alike - fools seldom differ.

It is down to fossil fuel pollution but when the weather is bright and still, the ultraviolet rays act on pollutants to create a mix of toxins including ozone and because of the lack of wind, the pollution hangs atound at ground level. It's healthier to be cycling on cloudy, windy days
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is, and that is why cars all have to have catalysts and keep me in a job engineering them!

I often visit a large industriali city in India, trust me you don't get real smog in London anymore!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    There is just no wind to shift it away, none of the flags I saw from the train this morning into CX were moving at all and from my house which is just off shooters hill I canb normally see canary wharf too but couldnt last night.

I would have cycled in but I did a fastish run yesterday and with asthma I need to be careful.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The winds been a bit weird here - normally it's SW (ish) so the planes into EMA come over my house, but for the last few days they've been taking off this way.

Then on the odd occasion I get both within an hour of each other. Right now they're landing over mine but the trees aren't even moving. It's absolutely still
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    In Cardiff we had a rain shower yesterday pm which seriously improved the air quality. I get a sort of catchy thing at the back of my throat when it's bad.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It is, and that is why cars all have to have catalysts and keep me in a job engineering them!

I often visit a large industriali city in India, trust me you don't get real smog in London anymore!

Simon

Is this simulated smog then?

It's still real but not at the level they get it and it still affects asthma suffers like me.