Saddle that's a similar shape to Charge Spoon

skyblue337
skyblue337 Posts: 135
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I like my Charge Spoon but I'm finding the seams on the cover are eating away at my bib shorts. Has anyone who liked the Spoon moved onto another saddle with a similar shape but a seamless cover?

Comments

• I haven't used a Charge Spoon, but in terms of how they look I would say it appears similar to the Fizik Aliante or maybe even a Specialized Avatar, although the Avatar seems a bit more bulky than both the Aliante and Spoon.
  • skyblue337
    I had an Avatar before and unfortunately didn't get on with it for longer rides. Will have a look at the Fizik
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    skyblue337 wrote:
    I like my Charge Spoon but I'm finding the seams on the cover are eating away at my bib shorts. Has anyone who liked the Spoon moved onto another saddle with a similar shape but a seamless cover?

loved the spoon and knife saddles - ditched it for the same reason. Been using Specialized's Toupe saddles for a year or so now. Might be one to look at....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The charge spoon doesn't feel anything like the Aliante believe me. They might look similar shape but thats it.
  • iain1775
    iain1775 Posts: 98
    Madison Flux
    Same saddle, similar price, but seams stitched in different place
  • Am I right in thinking that the Charge Spoon was based on the original Selle Italia Flite
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The charge spoon doesn't feel anything like the Aliante believe me. They might look similar shape but thats it.

Better or worse or just different?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    iain1775 wrote:
    Madison Flux
    Same saddle, similar price, but seams stitched in different place

Wot he said.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The charge spoon doesn't feel anything like the Aliante believe me. They might look similar shape but thats it.

Ah. Haven't tried either so that's good to know.

I can't say if they are anything like the Spoon, but I have used both the Specialized Romin and Toupe and liked both, so I suppose I would recommend those. They can be hard on the sit bones initially but are the most comfortable saddles I have used, particularly the Romin as I like riding in the drops a lot.
  • giant_man
    Different, and for me worse.

The Aliante is my favoured perch, and has been for the past 4 years, but to someone else's ar$e the Spoon is possibly comfortable. The Antares isn't bad for ME also, but again to someone else might not be suitable at all.

The saddle purchasing experience is an absolute minefield. For anyone.
  • The charge spoon doesn't feel anything like the Aliante believe me. They might look similar shape but thats it.

Better or worse or just different?

Aliante was far to narrow for me and becos of very uncomfortable, and as others said, nothing like the comfy charge spoon.
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Have used Spoons on the MTB and Knife on the road and really like them but decided to try this on a new build and it is excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/San-Marco-SKN-Fus ... 2753252365
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Am I right in thinking that the Charge Spoon was based on the original Selle Italia Flite

Dunno whether it's exactly a Selle Italia Flite but talking to the LBS bloke, he said Charge told him that they stripped down loads of saddles to the base, picked the one they felt was best and put their covering on it. I think the idea was that seamless saddles tension the cover material in the middle of the saddle where you ideally wouldn't want it to be. The way Charge do it with panels of cover material means the middle, where your butt is, is comfy.

Might be complete BS reasoning but they 'definitely' use a Selle Italia base according to the LBS guy who spoke to a Charge guy (the good ol' guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy).
  • giant_man
    Am I right in thinking that the Charge Spoon was based on the original Selle Italia Flite
    I doubt it very much. For a start they are differently shaped, especially the nose.
  • skyblue337
    Thanks for the suggestions, it's a shame there isn't a Madison version of the Charge Knife - I have a mental block about replacing a part with something heavier than what is already on the bike (I have the Ti railed Spoon). Looking around the Cinelli Bianca saddle looks kind of similar but seems expensive for what it is. Aparently it's a Prologo saddle but I can't tell which one
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Interesting thread. I have a Spoon on my mtb and have thought of putting one on my road bike, but it doesn't seem quite right. I have a Fizik Pave and it's quality of construction (and price) is miles ahead of the Spoon, but it's not as comfy. I think the Spoon's shape is the key to it's success but the padding isn't as firm or as generous as my Pave.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Interesting thread. I have a Spoon on my mtb and have thought of putting one on my road bike, but it doesn't seem quite right. I have a Fizik Pave and it's quality of construction (and price) is miles ahead of the Spoon, but it's not as comfy. I think the Spoon's shape is the key to it's success but the padding isn't as firm or as generous as my Pave.

I have found that shape tends to be much more important for comfort than the amount of padding. Of course, everyone is different, but a well shaped saddle that only puts pressure in the right places leads to more comfort for me, while some of the more thickly padded saddles I have tried end up being unbearably uncomfortable. A lot of padding can initially be comfortable, but after a few miles becomes horrible for me.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It's not that I think the Spoon should have lots of padding. But it's padding seems soft. A thicker layer of firmer padding (like my Fizik) and it'd be perfect for me. If Fizik did a saddle shaped like the Spoon I'd be reaching for my credit card.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Am I right in thinking that the Charge Spoon was based on the original Selle Italia Flite
    I doubt it very much. For a start they are differently shaped, especially the nose.

See link
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-mo-21369
  • giant_man
    i don't know about the first generation but it's not like the present Flite. I can't see they would change the shape, particularly the nose, that much surely.

http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html