Spoke damage

johnoakleyallen
johnoakleyallen Posts: 83
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
Whilst cleaning the bike yesterday I found a small mark on one of the front spokes, probably from where a stone flicked into it. I is very small, but would it be worth replacing it or is that too pedantic?

Secondly do you replace your own or do you go to the shop?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You probably have to define "mark". Do you mean a small dink, or something cosmetic? Has the spoke deen deflected in any way? How many spokes are on the wheel and are they handbuilt or factory?

Regarding replacement, for me that would be a "depends", I'm afraid. I have some handbuilts (so I would replace the spokes on that), I have some OEM wheels which I rebuilt (so I would replace spokes on that) and some factory wheels (RS80s) which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (bespoke spokes, low spoke count, high tension and a warranty that I am keen to preserve at the mo). May be that's me being a wuss though.
  • They are
    Rims Mavic CXP22
    Hubs Formula Sealed Cartridge Bearing
    Spokes Sapim Race 14/15g

I would probably class it more as a small dink rather than a cosmetic, However, I'm not sure how to classify a cosmetic mark!
    There is no deflection I just don't want to break another spoke away from home!!
    I am keen for trying to do as much as I can on the bike myself. But is this going to be possible with this, or am I going to be wasting my time?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Okey doke. My OEM wheels have the CXP22 rims so, based on that experience alone, I personally would happily replace the odd spoke. I cannot advise on whether you need to replace though. I cannot see the damage and it could well come down to several arbitrary opinions based on "what is an acceptable risk". if you are worried, change it.

Another option is to buy a spare spoke and tape it to your frame and keep a spoke key in your bag. Some folks do this anyway, some don't...back to "acceptable risks".
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is the spoke deformed at all i.e. is it bent or is the wheel no-longer running true? Spokes are pretty tough, particularly on a conventional handbuilt wheel - If wheel is still fine, then apply addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Is the spoke deformed at all i.e. is it bent or is the wheel no-longer running true? Spokes are pretty tough, particularly on a conventional handbuilt wheel - If wheel is still fine, then apply addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Spoke is straight and wheel is true. I just don't want to get stuck in the middle of no where with a bent wheel! But I'm not sure how likely that is!