Austerity Measures AKA downgrading

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Due to a (big) change in income I've had to sell my best bike and wheels along with other stuff including my every day frame (a titanium Litespeed.)

I was dreading doing this. I thought that I'd struggle to enjoy riding and would have to swallow a load of pride when people saw me on an alumimium framed bike and box section open pros. I thought that I'd be far less competitive at races. I thought it would be like riding a boneshaker and I wouldn't go on long rides.

However, do it I did and I now have said aluminium frame (albeit with carbon rear end) and box section wheels on the road bike.

I have to say that as it's actually the best fitting bike I've ever had I'm enjoying riding more than ever. It'd be wrong to say that I don't miss the carbon bike (I don't miss the Ti at all, thought Ti was overrated) and fancy wheels but I did my best race a couple of weeks ago, the handling is spot on and not once did I think I was being held back by the bike.

I've swallowed my pride and I'm actually happy with my lot. When things change, sure, I'll have a top carbon bike (or maybe handmade steel) and bling wheels but in the meantime I'm embracing the situation...

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are struggling financially and have to say good bye to your pride and joy, don't worry!!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've been saying this for years - it's not about the cost of your bike - a decent bike is a decent ride - there's really no need to spend thousands.

Sorry to hear about your change in circumstances - hope things look up in the future.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Quite right, there are cyclists and there are poseurs.
    It sounds like you enjoy enjoy the cycling aspect rather than "owning expensive stuff", I am also yet to find any link between expensive equipment and enjoyment..
  • Sorry to hear about your change in circumstances.....everybody is struggling these days, even those in work and suffering from the cost of living.

But, to be a good cyclist, it was never about the kit - its all in the legs and lungs. I can remember when I started cycling over 20 years ago, being overtaken up a hill by on a club-ride by a guy riding a bike with a shopping basket on the front!
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Due to a (big) change in income I've had to sell my best bike and wheels along with other stuff including my every day frame (a titanium Litespeed.)

I was dreading doing this. I thought that I'd struggle to enjoy riding and would have to swallow a load of pride when people saw me on an alumimium framed bike and box section open pros. I thought that I'd be far less competitive at races. I thought it would be like riding a boneshaker and I wouldn't go on long rides.

Crikey! I thought you were taking the p*ss until I read your twitter feed - sorry to hear about the huge paycut, I hope you can make things work out.

A bike that works properly and fits you is all you really need. Anything fancier is just for show, not for go :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Interesting thread and I have to say with so many cut backs I'm wondering how long I can hold off keeping 2 bikes to be honest. My next bike will be a carbon China sourced frame after following the threads on roadbike review for some time. I was seduced by a big brand name and whilst I love my bike id rather the money in the bank....

nap d what are you riding at the moment?

ps got bitten in a similar situation to you a year or so back so keep the chin up
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was racing on Sunday and there was a guy on an old steel frame right in the mix to the finish - needless to say there was plenty of carbon exotica with fancy deep wheels out the back after a lap or two.
    There seems to be a bit of a 'golf club' mentality developing over kit, but I'm less bothered joining the 'arms race' of expensive kit 'cos next year it will be old kit anyway. What makes the difference is my enjoyment of riding, and regardless of what bike I'm riding, I'll kick-butt on an old steelie if going well or die like an old dog on carbon exotica if under or over-trained!
    Much that I love the latest kit, enjoying what you have is probably one of the most difficult things to get use to in life in general.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Keep your chin up Nap - you have a wonderful family, money isn't the be all and end all.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    All the new bikes and kit that keeps coming out is tempting if youve got some cash burning a hole in your pocket,which i havnt due to being out of work for a while, but i,m perfectly happy with the three bikes i bought 5 years ago, ive got 400 quids worth of spares in stock for them, mostly drivetrain parts, so that should keep them all going for at least another five years, so i,m just gonna keep on enjoying riding them all at hopefully very little expense apart from a few pairs of tyres.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    interesting thread. I've been on my best bike (s-works SL3) for the last few weeks, lots of training rides, a couple of races and I feel like my form is coming on.

I hopped on my old winter hack on Tuesday (ally frame, PX model B wheels and old 9sp Ultegra) and knocked out my fastest training ride of the year. I'm now thinking seriously about taking this bike to my next race......
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I haven't ridden my "good" road bike (Felt F3) this year.... I'm still firing around at w/e and commuting on my steel fixed gear Kona Paddy Wagon, complete with full mudguards...
    And I love it...
    I have raced a few TTs on my Ridley Dean, but I get just as much day to day fun on the fixed....

It's not about the bike! ...

Enjoy whatever you can... It is the riding that is important & the main thing...
    One of my clubmates said " cycling is a boutique sport" quite true.... Many favour looks at the cafe over performance on the road... Nothing bad in that per say, but more an observation. I see Graeme Obree out reasonably often and he is invariably riding an older bike... He would still rip the legs off everyone.

Enjoy...
  • About a year ago I decided to buy a new winter bike as the one I had didn't fit very well. The only one I could find that was about the right price, had the right geometry and could take full length mudguards was a Kona Honky Tonk, a steel bike with down tube levers.

Have to say, it's just as fun to ride as the carbon Spesh and custom built steel bike I have. OK, it doesn't ride the same, but I'm just as happy to take it out as bikes costing 3-4 times as much. And it's a nice colour as well. :D
  • Very sorry to hear about your change in circumstances NapD. Hope things turn around real soon for you mate.
    Just checked out your blog and altho it hasn't been updated, I hope you won't mind me telling you how your 'before' & 'after' pictures have inspired me to press on. If I can lose a fraction of the weight you've shifted, I'll (& my missus) will be very happy.
    Is the third picture down a different person to the first two pictures? :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    What frame are you now riding nap?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I don't think anyone is going to come on here and disagree. Nothing wrong with alu frames, I still ride mine plenty, and I've got 'box-sections' on the good bike at the mo. Hope your situation improves, though, a paycut is never welcome.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Bummer, but you are right you don't need to spend the world to get a bike that is fun to ride and perfectly acceptable to race on. Anyway with an aluminium frame and handbuilts, you can always tell people you are training for P-R :wink:

Interesting that the Bikeradar report on the 2012 Shimano XT groupset claims that it will see a 10% price drop. Will we see this in the UK who knows, but is it finally an admission that the crazy high prices of stuff we have seen recently are hurting their bottom line and is about to change?
  • Anonymous
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Colnago Arte I picked up on eBay for 300 quid. I love it!

I even have stem/handlebars/seatpost combo that weighs about as much as some carbon frames!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Interesting post. :D

I keep wanting to go and splash out money on a new carbon framed bike,but in the current climate I keep thinking it feels a bit reckless to go out and spend a load of money on a bike when I actually still quite enjoy riding my old Trek.

Instead I keep sticking the money I save each month in an ISA and buy spares as when I need them,and have been surprised how little I`ve really needed to spend to enjoy my hobby.

Its just another version of the age old "need v want" agrument really...... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    NapoleonD wrote:

I even have stem/handlebars/seatpost combo that weighs about as much as some carbon frames!

Did you keep your C50, or has that gone as well?
  • Gazzaputt
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

:lol: Not a bad alu frame to be riding!

Cannot wait to get my mitts on the Canyon AL I ordered and that is being shipped today. Just in time for hols!
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, I haven't even got round to taking a pic.

It's in the milram colours and I managed to get a Milram Fizik Aliante and Milram Elite bottle cages. It looks pretty good!

The Canyon AL frames are meant to be top.
  • Gazzaputt
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, I haven't even got round to taking a pic.

It's in the milram colours and I managed to get a Milram Fizik Aliante and Milram Elite bottle cages. It looks pretty good!

The Canyon AL frames are meant to be top.

They are when you £300 odd off the RRP

I've been advised the Canyon AL are as good if not better than C'Dales CAAD9 which I had and what was the 2nd best frameset I have ever owned.

I'm dreading though it'll be as good as the Canyon CF i have.

Need pics Nap asap of the Colnago. Sounds a cracking build.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Hey Nap I have a Milram Colnago jersey in large worn twice you want it, complete the fanboy look? :wink:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Anonymous
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Hey Nap I have a Milram Colnago jersey in large worn twice you want it, complete the fanboy look? :wink:

I'd love one but, well, I'm selling rather than buying!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    hope it all works out for you Alex.

At least you have riding as an outlet for relieving stress and keeping a degree of fitness.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, that's dead important. Been having a shite time of it with the ill newborn, money/house then being attacked and bitten by an HIV/HepC riddled ar5ehole at the weekend is not best ever to one's state of mind!

Having said that, watching news of another soldier's funeral on the TV puts things into perspective.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:

I'd love one but, well, I'm selling rather than buying!

You can have it for nowt mate. PM me.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Anonymous
    :shock:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    There will always be more bikes/kit out there. Someone is always selling and shops want to move stuff on. The arrival of our child prompted me to think about stuff that was already in my mind. Did I really need custom fitted shoes,more Rapha etc when I wasn't getting out riding much and had a cupboard full of Rapha/Assos and a garage with expensive bikes and wheels. Also some expensive watches (JLC,Panerai,Rolex) have gone because I'm not wearing them and might as well realise some money back off them. Some people have got fired off today where I work, literally out of the door tonight - cheque is in the post. So things are put into perspective
    M.Rushton