Ribble Carbon vs Canyon AL Frameset

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I do have a Canyon AL on order but it seems there's a delay on sending this.

Looking at alternatives and Ribble to seem offer a lot for the money.

The bike will be a training bike but I like the look and fit of the sportive.

Opinions?

Comments

• c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    How long do you have to wait for your Canyon?? cause Ribble sometimes have long turn around times due to the fact the price is so good and the time the bike is put together at there workshop and sent out it can sometimes be quite a few weeks.
  • Gazzaputt
    I'm not buying a bike just the frame and fork.
  • jonrwg
    jonrwg Posts: 39
    I gt my Ribble bike in 10 days so I guess just the frame and fork should be faster? :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Funny I just ordered a silver Ribble sportive bianco Monday but it's not been even dispatched yet. Why? B/c they're kept in a separate warehouse and all frames are checked before they're sent - they clean up the headset cups and chase the BB threads - good on 'em for doing that.

So your Canyon might get there in time? I only got the Ribble b/c it comes in a 44cm size and my GF is 163cms. That's one segment that Canyon misses out - if they made a 44/45 or even 46/47cm Ultimate CF you can guess what she'd be on!

The Al Ultimate is such a complete, sorted frame and at 1285 grams for a 56cm it's as light as a lot of carbon. Considering it features 90% of the tube shaping ideas present in the CF Ultimate and, by association, the Cervelo R series, it's one hell of an Al f&f for under £800.

I hope you got the VCLS seatpost. Note that it comes with the 330gram top off the line fork, or should.

Yes, it's obvious I like these frames, really nice too look at. I've only ridden the CF Ultimate which was a bit twitchy for my liking but had drivetrain response better than my R3SL.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Gazzaputt
    Think I'll wait for the Canyon as it is the bike I want.
  • Gazzaputt
    I have a lovely black Canyon AL sitting in my shed awaiting a replacement hanger!

All built but was delivered with a broken hanger :cry:

Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and the bike will get its maiden voyage this weekend.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Please weight it before you put it together, expect the frame to be 1250 to 1325 depending on size.

Fork should be about 330?

thanks.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Gazzaputt
    Weight without rear mech is of the whole build is 16.2lb.

Frame is a 56cm and claimed weight is 1250g.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    after waiting for my custom steel for 9 months i'm very tempted to by the frameset and sack the steel.

Damn you reynolds ship the F@~king stainless steel

Is it geo the same as the cf?

Whats the stem size 1 1\8
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Gazzaputt
    No stem is 1 1/4 same as CF which surprised me.

Seatube is about .5mm longer than the CF I have but everything else is the same as the CF

I paid £430 for it which was a real steal.
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    i'm looking a getting the AL, can't decide on the colour tho, any chance of some pics of yours getting put up on here

cheers
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Nodman7 wrote:
    i'm looking a getting the AL, can't decide on the colour tho, any chance of some pics of yours getting put up on here

cheers

Go for the black, or the white.
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    I apologise for going slightly off topic.

Looking at the Canyon website. Is there a way of showing the exact build specification. i.e. are the bikes supplied with pedals, what tyres do you get, etc...

Thanks in advance
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    click on the bike you are interested in. Scroll down and click on equipment and geometry. No pedals. You need to cross check equipment to geometry as on different size frames they have diifferent chainset lengths etc.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Mccaria wrote:
    click on the bike you are interested in. Scroll down and click on equipment and geometry. No pedals. You need to cross check equipment to geometry as on different size frames they have diifferent chainset lengths etc.

You can add pedals at a discounted price though :wink:
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Picky, very picky............ :lol:
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    rowman wrote:
    I apologise for going slightly off topic.

Looking at the Canyon website. Is there a way of showing the exact build specification. i.e. are the bikes supplied with pedals, what tyres do you get, etc...

Thanks in advance

When viewing the bike you want just below the Highlights images and above the Frame image you can click on the Equipment > Geometry link to see the full spec.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    Thanks everyone. That was just what I was looking for. Just a couple of interesting observations: they don't allow you to specify crank and stem length and the availability for a medium Aeroad is 10 weeks (i.e. not available until week 27...)
  • Gazzaputt
    Finished:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16911081

First ride in the morning having to babysit tonight :(
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    I have just seen the pics, WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: (and have posted my thoughts! :D )

Beautiful ride you have there...........

I am too am in the market for an alu bike and canyon is on the shortlist (along with S1 and Caad 10)!! What size is this?? 56??, How does the geom compare with focus cayo?
    How were they to deal with, esp with having to get a new rear hanger, easy to contact?, helpful?

Please post your thoughts re: you first ride, I am so torn between this and building an s1 and really dont know which way to go (and not being able to find ride reviews comparing the two doesnt help!!).

(Dont spend all night tonight staring at it though :wink::wink: )
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • Gazzaputt
    Great with getting the rear hanger was here in a week.

Geometry isn't to far off the the 56cm Cayo I used to have.

It is sitting in the hallway staring at me right now begging to be ridden.
  • Gazzaputt
    Ok first ride.

Having owned a CAAD9 for a couple of years I can compare with this and also the CF I own.

The Canyon is brilliant and easily matches the CAAD9. Is stiff but very forgiving on rough stuff I can see why it is used in Paris Roubaix. Climbs well nice power transfer and no real flex to feel. Loved sprinting on it really compared to the CF Descending it is sure footed gave me real confidence. Compared to the Canyon CF it defo goes downwards better probably due to having a little more weight.

I used to find the CAAD9 'twitchy' due to it's more racey geometry.

I will throw my R-Sys wheels on to it Sunday as I reckon with them it'll be comparable with the CF.

All in all it was a bargain as I paid £430. Even at full price of £709 it really is a cracking frameset.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    my bob jackson better be good when it comes or i'll kick myself.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Gazzaput,

Thanks for the detailed ride info, nice to see a good user review.

Looks like you've got a good ride there mate. Am almost 90% sure on an ultimate, think I just need to study the geo charts a bit more as their fit calculator gave me a 62cm but my focus is a 58cm and comfy at that.

In the meantime, I am going to try and see if I can test ride an S1 to see how good or bad the 'comfort' issue is with those bikes! But I suspect from what you have said the canyon will win, especially if you can get the power down as you say.

Will b interesting to see if the ride is as good as with your CF with your R-sys wheels on!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie