sufferfest and other training dvds

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Im thinking of getting one or some of the Sufferfest training vids, and i saw that they are 'optimised for a 17inch screen' and might look less good on a tv. Can anyone say what the quality is like when you fix the laptop up to the tv?

Also what are other good turbo training dvds, e.g. Spinervals?

Cheers, Rich

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sufferfest are the best ones I've used.
    They look fine on a bigger screen, obviously not high res but they're ok.

Spinervals and Carmichael videos are ok but mega-cheesy and set in spinning classes. They are also more expensive.

RealRides are quite good as they are cyclists POV.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Sufferfest are the best ones I've used.
    They look fine on a bigger screen, obviously not high res but they're ok.

Spinervals and Carmichael videos are ok but mega-cheesy and set in spinning classes. They are also more expensive.

RealRides are quite good as they are cyclists POV.

are the sufferfests from a cyclist POV? the description seems to suggest so...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Sufferfest features mainly clips of pro racing, mostly from a moto camera, so a lot are behind/alongside/just in front of the riders. They are very well done...
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    +1 - great vids that keep you interested.

Variety of scenes from all sorts of racing and different styles of soundtracks. Great resource and dirt cheap really.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    they're 8 quid so just get one. you won't spend much time analysing the pictures unless you aren't putting the effort in so it shouldn't matter what the pictures like.

they are very good though
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    +1 for sufferfest
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    Are all of the videos pretty much the same? Or are there better / worse ones?
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Mooro wrote:
    Are all of the videos pretty much the same? Or are there better / worse ones?

Not so much better or worse, but they are different. If you go to the sufferfest site he gives you an idea what sort of workout they give and who they might be suitable for.

I have 'downward spiral' and 'angels'. Both excellent, but on video quality and more shots of pro riders you'd recognise, I'd say Angels is better. They give a different workout, but both vomit-inducing if you give it everything!
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Have to agree the Sufferfest videos are very good but their prices are sneaking up slowly.

I've also started using race footage (mountain stages are my faves) and either listen to the commentary or stick some music in my ears. Seems to work very well with the ye ole classic 2 x 20 mins training.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    + 100 for Sufferfest, they are the best training vids around.
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    I have all the suffeefest dvd's and think they are good. The only downside is the images repeat a little too much...