Cleats

orangepip
orangepip Posts: 219
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
How much use do people tend to get out of their shimano spd-sl cleats? I'm not sure whether mine need to be replaced or not but i've only been using them for a few months (commuting and normal riding) and they seem to be harder to engage than they were... slip a bit more etc I suspect it was the couple of longish walks home i've had after some mechanical issues

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    orangepip wrote:
    How much use do people tend to get out of their shimano spd-sl cleats? I'm not sure whether mine need to be replaced or not but i've only been using them for a few months (commuting and normal riding) and they seem to be harder to engage than they were... slip a bit more etc I suspect it was the couple of longish walks home i've had after some mechanical issues

Nail on the head... They are not designed for walking in!
    The cleats have little yellow sections of rubber on them... What condition is this in, now?
    If it has worn through, or disappeared, they're knackered.
    Walking may also have caused some splaying of the locating parts, making engagement difficult. Compare your cleats to a new set, then make your mind up...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • ^^^^^^^ Agreed

Mine are 3-4 years old and still fine

Having said that I ride in the countryside so rarely clip in and out on a ride
    I dont walk far in them either :)

A mate rides in the SE and gets through a pair in a lot less time than me

cheers