Squeaky shoes driving me mad.

Harveytile
Harveytile Posts: 227
edited April 2011 in The workshop
My shoes make a squeaking sound like rubber being slide over metal almost every time on the downstroke when pedalling with any sort of effort. It’s diving me mad. Some might say it already has but that’s another issue.

I have tried different combinations of pedals (Shimano 520s and Power Play) and different shoes (Exustar and something else, can’t remember) but so far the noise is still there. I can see rubbing on the sole just to the heel side of the cleat and the back of the cleat is quite shiny. The only thing I have found that will quieten the noise is a swift spray of WD40 (or any other popular brand of displacement fluid) but this only works for a ride or two and makes missing the pedal a slippery and dangerous affair!

Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so how / were you able to resolve it? I think it may be down to flexible soles but don’t let that influence your thoughts. Simplest solution may just be going to flats with clips...
Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Stanley knife to slice away a slither or two where the rubber is running?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 different pedlas, 2 different shoes, how sure are you its to do with the pedal/shoe interface, besides on SPD's the ONLY contact should be cleat to pedal, no shoe contact at all......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Harveytile
    2 different pedlas, 2 different shoes, how sure are you its to do with the pedal/shoe interface, besides on SPD's the ONLY contact should be cleat to pedal, no shoe contact at all......
    >>>> And that is what I feel might be the problem - overly flexible soles making contact with the pedals. :roll: I have tried flats and all is quiet so I'm pretty sure the "interface" is where the problem lies.

I have taken a knife and some sand paper to the treads. They don't touch the pedal. The rubbing is actually on the sole plate directly behind the cleat. It is a patch about 3mm round.
    Beep Beep Richie.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bizarre shoes, my Spesh a pain on flat/SPD combo peddles, but don't touch my 520's at all.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Any shoe/pedal squeaks I have ever had have been the shoe rubbing against the crank arm.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    maybe its just your joints squeeking...some WD40 will sort that out :D
  • Harveytile
    cee wrote:
    Any shoe/pedal squeaks I have ever had have been the shoe rubbing against the crank arm.

With winter (neoprene) overshoes, I do get some crankarm rub and noise but without overshoes there is loads of room and no rubbing.

I'm picking up some flats tonight so tomorrow will be the acid test. If that fails I guess I'll just have to hang the bike up, class it as broken and get another... :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I had creaking cleats for about 400 miles. Tried all sorts - cleaning and lubing cleats and pedals surface. No joy. It was always one cleat and on the downstroke.

Then I replace them, with a new set I had lying aorund. Now = silence.

Your cleats could be worn out. How long you had them?
  • Harveytile
    I've got a new set of cleats on so will check for noises tonight on the ride home.
    Beep Beep Richie.