What's the deal on 'puncture proof' tyres these days?

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I've just bought an Allez Sport after four years out of the saddle and need some new tyres. I recall having some Pro Race 2 tyres fitted to my last bike which were pretty good and I know that the PR3 is meant to be almost puncture proof according to Michelin, although reviews suggest otherwise. I'm not going to be racing but I need a good tyre that will see me good for long rides up to 2-3 hours and on some craqppy roads. Anything else I should be looking at? I'm happy to lose some comfort if it means less time fixing punctures.

Cheers.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    No such thing as puncture proof
  • moscowflyer
    danowat wrote:

I know that, I'm asking what the nearest thing to it is.
  • "Race" tyres have a tiny amount of puncture protection. You should be using Krylion's if you want protection
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    danowat wrote:
    +1 - that's about it really.

I use PR2s and PR3s and Krylion carbons in the winter and I don't get many have to say ...
  • moscowflyer
    Cheers, was looking at the Krylion's as it goes so may give those a try. I used to use Armadillo's before the PR, never got a single puncture but a rock hard ride.

I'll take a look on eBay.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    As long as you don't use ultra thin race tyres, I think they are much of a muchness in puncture resistance.

I use Vittoria Corsa EVO CX tubs, which are supposedly very puncture resistant, they aren't, I punctured them on my second outing, if you ride over something sharp, its going to puncture, no matter.

I found Krylions poor aswell, however have found GP4000S and Vittoria Rubino Pros to be ok, but other peoples experiance could be different.
  • moscowflyer
    danowat wrote:
    As long as you don't use ultra thin race tyres, I think they are much of a muchness in puncture resistance.

I use Vittoria Corsa EVO CX tubs, which are supposedly very puncture resistant, they aren't, I punctured them on my second outing, if you ride over something sharp, its going to puncture, no matter.

I found Krylions poor aswell, however have found GP4000S and Vittoria Rubino Pros to be ok, but other peoples experiance could be different.

That's always going to be the issue when asking something like this I guess, one rider may go 1k without a puncture, the next may have had 4 in 100 miles. Just trying to get a feel for what's well regarded on that front, have just purchased some Krylions so now it's trial and error time.

Cheers all.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Cheers, was looking at the Krylion's as it goes so may give those a try. I used to use Armadillo's before the PR, never got a single puncture but a rock hard ride.

Krylions are the opposite really, very comfortable tyres even with max psi. Nice.
  • Cheers, was looking at the Krylion's as it goes so may give those a try. I used to use Armadillo's before the PR, never got a single puncture but a rock hard ride.

Go into a bike shop hand over your money and leave with a set. Simple Might get some advise as well
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have had a lot of success with Spesh All Conditions Pro's, they aren't armadillo (flak jacket instead) but they ride well and I have worn them (2 sets) out before puncturing once, and used them all year round for training, leisure and commuting. They are reasonably light at about 225g and have dual compound rubber. Two for £35 here
  • miurasv
    miurasv Posts: 345
    I thought tubeless tyres were the nearest thing to puncture resistant? You'd need to get 2 Way Fit Rims or I believe there's a Stan's Conversion Kit for normal rims to accomadate tubeless tyres. I may be wrong.
  • not true
  • miurasv
    miurasv Posts: 345
    not true

I did say I may be wrong. Sorry for the duff info. Please ignore my post.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Try continental grand prix 4 seasons they have a kevlar band are great for winter and crappy roads and weigh about 250 g so not too bad weight wise .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    tarbot18 wrote:
    Try continental grand prix 4 seasons they have a kevlar band are great for winter and crappy roads and weigh about 250 g so not too bad weight wise .

I have these on my Echo, but at 300 miles can't comment much yet - normally swear by Spesh Armadillos, had 26x1.95 Hemispheres and 700x23 Elites with zero problems, and the latter are going strong after nearly 5000 winter miles. Just put Borough CXs on new crosser too
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    "Race" tyres have a tiny amount of puncture protection. You should be using Krylion's if you want protection

What he said..............................

I'm running a Krylion as a back tyre - seems pretty robust to me and it gets used on the road and the turbo. Replaced a GP4000s which was also very good.

I rarely get punctures on the front so I am currently running a more racier Ultremo ZX.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    +1 for Krylions
    Took me 2 years and 4 other sets to finally find them...
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I've just bought an Allez Sport after four years out of the saddle and need some new tyres. I recall having some Pro Race 2 tyres fitted to my last bike which were pretty good and I know that the PR3 is meant to be almost puncture proof according to Michelin, although reviews suggest otherwise. I'm not going to be racing but I need a good tyre that will see me good for long rides up to 2-3 hours and on some craqppy roads. Anything else I should be looking at? I'm happy to lose some comfort if it means less time fixing punctures.

Cheers.

Dont trust everything companies tell you!

Rubino 3 Pros are pretty bullet proof, so are the Krylions. I think Rubinso can be found cheaper, when in stock on ribble.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Conti 4 seasons. Or if you dont mind riding a tractor Armadillos. I had a bad time with Pro 3s last year but fine the year before. PRO 3 are great to ride on though.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo