wheels - shimano rs20 or mavic aksium - please help!

evsy
evsy Posts: 111
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
hey everyone. need some help again.

i am getting myself a new set of wheels as the cheapo ones which came with the bike are knackered.

been in to my lbs and they said that the best ones within my budget and for my needs (mainly social rides with bike club, 2 sportives lined up and maybe a race or two later in year) are a straight choice between the shimano rs20 and the mavic aksiums (both are around £130).

can someone explain the difference between the two?
what would be the better ones to go for?

thanks for your help

evs

Comments

• I have a pair of Aksiums myself and think that they are pretty much bombproof.
    So much much so, that after a LBS service/true (for piece of mind), they're going to replace the shim 500's on my Fuji.
    They're not the lightest in the price bracket, but IMO 'sturdiness' wins out over weight weenie syndrome every time.
    Some people have also posted about the aksiums rear freehub being noisy, but thats something that i haven't noticed myself.
    Also, IIRC there have been threads about limited availability of shimano spokes @ LBS's.
    Don't know if this is still a problem, but something worth thinking about if a spoke does go.
    My aksiums have done about 8-900 miles which is still early doors i guess, but i haven't had any probs whatsoever.
    hope this helps.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • evsy
    thanks for your reply.

i have been looking online but tbh the spec of each wheel doesnt really mean anything to me :oops:

good to have some advice from someone with them, so thanks for your help.
    swaying towards the mavics!
  • monkeysm8
    monkeysm8 Posts: 191
    I was in the same predicament a few months ago. I plumped for Planet X's Model Bs and I am well impressed. Light as chuff, roll well and are cheap too.
  • evsy
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    I was in the same predicament a few months ago. I plumped for Planet X's Model Bs and I am well impressed. Light as chuff, roll well and are cheap too.

model bs??not heard of them.
    are they good?how about maintenance? (are they easy to service?)

the reason i asked about the rs20s and aksium is because my lbs recommended them and would fit them. if i bought a set online how easy is it to switch the cassette?
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    evsy wrote:

the reason i asked about the rs20s and aksium is because my lbs recommended them and would fit them. if i bought a set online how easy is it to switch the cassette?

I bought a pair of RS20s to replace the worn out standard rims on my Trek 2200. Cassette switch was easy - never done one before, loads of videos on the net.

I looked at RS20s, Askiums and Racing 7s, Was put off by the noise of the 7s and plumped for the RS20s purely on price. At my level I doubt I would notice much difference! They go round which is all I needed!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Model B's are an unbranded wheel from planet x

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... b-wheelset

Wheels at this weight for this money can't be beaten. Nobody's really complained about the quality so I'd go for these.