I was offered a fight yesterday by a courier

2»

Comments

• bmca2010
    bmca2010 Posts: 54
    bike helmet assisted head butt followed up by throwing his bike under a bus whould have soon sorted that situation out

:P
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    White guy - frizzy hair? Speaking "da lingo"?

Yeah, he had on wrap arounds, bike cap, old multi-coloured single speed bike.

LOL I met him the other day with some of my couriers (who of course are all polite & respectable) & thought he was a bit odd then. This was when I had a ride with them down over Tower Bridge but he got left behind in traffic.

I'll get one of my guys to tell him not to be such a plonker next time.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Accept it DDD -some people out there are nutters - you did the right thing 8)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    He's not worth it. You did the right thing.
    FCN = 4
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A fight ends up with 2 possible outcomes.

A sore hand or a sore head. At least.......

(Okay, with certain techniques you can get away without the sore hand but you get my gist?)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Sounds like you met one of lifes wastes. I am a bit puzzled by your " he is English OR the South London variety" line though. Are you implying old chap that us Sarf Londonders are not that English or heaven forbid, that we are all a bit dim if we speak with an accent of the South London variety. If so I do believe you are guilty of ........ cityism or you pressed the wrong key. You decide.
  • You should always stand up to bullies, they usually back down.

Reminds me of an incident I had while driving on the A40 about 8 years ago. I was in a Porsche at the time, suited and booted because I had an important meeting. I'm in the outside lane doing about 30 in traffic, when white van man swerves across in front of me missing my front wing by millimeters and causing me to throw out the anchors. So I gave him a quick blast on the horn to let him know I was there.
    He then stops infront of me and got out, usual type shaved head, knuckles dragging, and starts shouting. What he didn't expect was for me to jump out of my car, run up to him and then very politely and firmly inform him,

"that if you don't move your heap of junk, I'll shove your *#&+ing head through the windscreen"

The look on his face was priceless, I really think that he soiled himself. He couldn't get back in his van fast enough.
    Made me day did that :D
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Best reason not to fight?

You think you'll look like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCwyHr7Fzs

but in reality look like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • nmac_2011
    nmac_2011 Posts: 49
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    On a seperate note, where does the law stand on street fights? I assume if I'm charged I would need to inform work. Taken to court probably equals a suspension from work, that much I know.

Informing work due to charges being laid against you may not be necessary.

As for a court appearance leading to an automatic suspension maybe not.

Innocent until proved guilty.

John Prescott seemed to get away with it when he lamped an egg throwing protestor.

Has anybody mentioned a D-Lock ( used in self defence of course your honour ) yet?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You should always stand up to bullies, they usually back down.

Reminds me of an incident I had while driving on the A40 about 8 years ago. I was in a Porsche at the time, suited and booted because I had an important meeting. I'm in the outside lane doing about 30 in traffic, when white van man swerves across in front of me missing my front wing by millimeters and causing me to throw out the anchors. So I gave him a quick blast on the horn to let him know I was there.
    He then stops infront of me and got out, usual type shaved head, knuckles dragging, and starts shouting. What he didn't expect was for me to jump out of my car, run up to him and then very politely and firmly inform him,

"that if you don't move your heap of junk, I'll shove your *#&+ing head through the windscreen"

The look on his face was priceless, I really think that he soiled himself. He couldn't get back in his van fast enough.
    Made me day did that :D

Cool story bro.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It depends rather on your physical confidence, but I hate to back down in the face of chav agression. Normally something on the lines of (delivered at full height and arms loose) of "back off or I'll pull your face off" works. On four or five instances over the last ten years (sorry Welshfolks, but I've lived in the Valleys) I have then had to proceed to open the can when I've been swung on. More often by a good margin they've 'ucked off.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I think you're all missing the main point here, which is....
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    As much as it irks me I rode away - for reasons I cannot mention for three weeks or so
    Should we be expecting an imminent announcement of a forthcoming DonBabyD?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    At that point I'm left with two choices, go feral and treat this guy to my deceptive 16st frame. Or ride away. As much as it irks me I rode away - for reasons I cannot mention for three weeks or so - to this guy howling "go on" and "move"....

'avin a baby?

EDIT: dammit Ian.B :lol:
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've probably got a different view as there's only 10st of me but 'wanna fight about it bruv' just sounds ridiculous to me - like something you'd say when you were eight years old.

To be honest this was my thought as well. Also I've seen my fair share of fights. If you're really going to attack someone you don't take the time to politely ask. No matter how 'urban' an accent you can muster...

Exactly. People either fight or don't, you don't spend 10mins talking about it first.

It's funny the lines people come out with, during an altercation with a car the other week the guy said he would "smash my face off" which I thought sounded particularly stupid. When I invited him to hop out of his car and try he drove off thus proving point1 above.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

I only accept nicely packaged items from couriers and only if they have spelled my name correctly. My favourite is brown paper and parcel string...old school wrapping...oh wait...

Ah, I see now...yes...

What a tool. Bloody cyclists!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cee wrote:

I only accept nicely packaged items from couriers and only if they have spelled my name correctly. My favourite is brown paper and parcel string...old school wrapping...oh wait...

Ah, I see now...yes...

What a tool. Bloody cyclists!

:D

White cardboard and sealing wax is nice
  • Should have just blasted him with your air horn.

Seems to be the topical way to deal with poor cycling behaviour.

Guy sounds like a total knob cheese.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Exactly. People either fight or don't, you don't spend 10mins talking about it first.

Clearly someone has never watched an episode of Dragonball (I know it's a cartoon but DDD will appreciate it!)

Well done mate, no point mucking up your mitts on ejits like this. A bike is great for anger management as you can just work off the aggression via the cranks and destroy everyone from there until Wimbledon - or your anger runs out, whichever arrives first....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    As a cyclist and owner of a London Courier Company I have had to dismiss 'belligerent' cyclists before. Its all well and good living the romantic/maverick/individual lifestyle of an urban road warrior but we all have to accept the reality of Corporate Social Responsibility these days and we can't allow individuals to go around threatening other road users - if that courier was treating other cyclist like that, I wonder how he behaves when dealing with customers! If my company was contacted by a member of the public (as we have been on numerous occassions) and told that one of our cyclists (or motorbikers, or van or car drivers) was acting irresponsibly/aggresively etc, then I know my managers would do something about it, even if it were only to warn a courier about their behaviour in a 'first-offence' situ. If there are cyclists out there who want to be aggresive and threatening then we certainly don't wanna employ any and I'm sure our competitors wouldn't either. That also applies to any motorbikers/van/car drivers who intimidate or disrespect cyclists by the way.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • hello all pretty new to the forum and just like to say hello on the subject of having a fight you got to think to yourself your more of a man for walking away. and also how stupid must he had looked standing in the road shouting "go on" and "move". some people are brain dead and they are simply not worth it. on the other hand kicking his arse may have made him think about doing it again.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    simonc2806 wrote:
    hello all pretty new to the forum and just like to say hello on the subject of having a fight you got to think to yourself your more of a man for walking away. and also how stupid must he had looked standing in the road shouting "go on" and "move". some people are brain dead and they are simply not worth it. on the other hand kicking his ars* may have made him think about doing it again.

Phew. Hi Simon, slow down there.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DDD, restoring his masculinity by rising above. Good work mate.

It is so much easier to lamp a wrong doer than to rise above and walk away.
    Well done DonDaddyD! That is the sort of lesson that is hard to teach to a young'un but so many need to be taught.

When your time comes, I hope you do a better job than this idiots parent's did.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!