XT/XTR compatability? Freehub

BERGS2
BERGS2 Posts: 11
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a pair of WH-M975 XTR wheels on my bike - the freehub is sticking and the local bike shop has quoted £210 to fix it - I know XTR kit is lumpy but £200 for a bit of a bit of a wheel is a little rich...

My question - on the offchance that someone techie is reading here - is will XT axel, cones, bearings and freehub - fit in the XTR hub body - as this lot can be for significantly less cash...

thanks in advance,

BERGS

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    FH-M770 and FH-M775 parts should be fine. you will lose the Ti body though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BERGS2
    OK - So i bought a M775 rear hub for about 40 quid with a view to using the guts of it and the freehub body on the XTR wheels

Stripped it down and was delighted to see that the freehub bolt (14mm hex) was the same in the XT as my knackered XTR. So far so good..

After much toiling with the lack of purchase on the new unattached hub (i ended up mounting a disc & then screwing it to a wooden board to get enough leverage to undo the 14mm bolt... anyhows...

With everything apart all looked good - the axels were the same size, threads matched for the freehub body fixing bolt - looked like it was all going to be OK

Tried to use the bearings from the XT in the XTR but found the non-drive side races were a different size (smaller in the XT hub)

have put the original XTR race back in and used the original cone on the non-drive side and have new loose bearings/cone on the drive side.

Put it all back together and found that the freehub was not 'free' but was locking up for a brief moment on every turn of the wheel -

Pissed around with the cone tightness for about an hour but could not get it to feel 'right'

have i made a fundamental error in trying to mix XT & XTR bits?

any advice gladly recieved - tech for each below:

XTR:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 648617.pdf

XT:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 732434.pdf
  • nicklouse
    and according to the XT PDF it "should" work.

how did the body feel with no axle fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • BERGS2
    yeah - felt fine when off the hub -

difficult to judge without the weight of the casette/sprockets on though...

I'm going to try to loosen the cones off a little tonight to see if that makes any difference.

Staring to reek of false economy to me though:

XT Hub - £40
    14mm allen bolt £5
    Casette tool £5
    hours of time....

:(
  • nicklouse
    you would still have need the tools.

and TBH it sounds more like an assembly issue.
  • BERGS2
    just to complete -

'twas indeed an assembly issue.... had put the seal in the wrong way round on the drive side which was then rubbing the freehub

doh!

thanks for the advice - now onto the bottom bracket....