Big Ring

BobbyTrigger
BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
edited March 2011 in MTB general
my big ring is missing a tooth :shock:

what was 44 teeth is now 43 :(

now bar the odd occasional awkward change is this an issue?

its a bog standard Sram Truativ crankset that came on the bike - an 07 GT Disc 1 of the Halfords flavour (so an XC 1)

i guess if i wanted to replace it i'd have to replace the entire crank set?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can just replace the ring on most cranksets.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers nicklouse - i'l have a proper look at it at the weekend.

not had much luck with the GT at the moment!
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    It's only a broken tooth (can you see it snapped?). Ride it until it's worn out or more teeth are gone, one will make little difference unless you are racing and even then it will matter very little.

It's not really the GT's fault
  • yeah cheers - will do. its taken a whack at some point.

its a first for me :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you use the big ring anyway?

If not, bin it and get a bash guard. Then doesn't matter if it takes a whack and protects the other rings, plus your shins from getting punctures.

Replacing rings on the Truvativ are no problem, and you can fit Shimano rings too. Shimano steel rings are good and cheap.

Thing I find with my GT is aside from the frame, everything is standard kit mostly by Shimano, SRAM or Fox, as Halfords just spec it up with off the shelf components that meet their price point.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    if you paln on keeping it and running with the bashed out tooth, which is no real bother just make sure you clean up the smashed up tooth with a file and a pair of pliars so it doesn't do any chain dmg. :)
  • good point - cheers