BB mounted chain guide problems!

dwclay99
dwclay99 Posts: 100
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

I have been using the superstar bb mouted single front chain device for a few months now and i have reached the end of my tether and need some help!

here are the issues:

1. The alloy backing plate causes a irritating creaking noise when putting alot of power through the pedals from the bb area (its not the bb its self).

2. The backing plate after 3-4 rides comes loose and starting moving around the bb shell which clearly ruins the alignment of the chain. this then causes the bb to unscrew and come loose.

I have tried lots of grease, no grease and nothing seems to work. its driving me mad!

Any ideas?[/list]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are not tightening your BB enough.

pics of the set up.

BB has it been faced?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dwclay99
    dwclay99 Posts: 100
    I dont have a picture to hand right now but i can tell you i have the bb as tight as i dare. and the bb has been faced.

could issues be resulting from the mounting plate being outside of a plastic spacer on the drive side?

should i try using the very thin plastic spacer that was supplied with my shimano bottom bracket between the mounting plate and bb shell with the slightly thicker one on the other side between the frame and mounting plate?
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i would mount the device nearest the frame.
    if the plastic washers slip why not fit some metal ones instead they may grip better?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should not try anything.

you should fit it correctly.

spacers may or may not be needed. BB should be tighten to the correct torque.

as to what the correct fitting is it all depends on what you have for a frame and cranks and bb. and what the measurements are.

but most of the instruction can be found on Parktools and the makers webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The Device should be tightened agains the frame, not the plastic spacers. No wonder you are having issues, youve not fitted it right.