advice on a new bike

kc1916
kc1916 Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
I had my mtb stolen last month so am on the market for a new one. Lookin 2 spend max £700, I want a bike which is going to give me somewhere to start. Want to do some trails as Cwmcarn is next to my house, have a few caught my eye like carrera fury, 2011 boardman comp or maybe bianchi kuma 5500, any one know any others that would be ok I've looked about and there is such a choice in the 400 to 700 bracket I'm now lost. I don't want full suspension as they to expensive for me and bit overkill for wot I'll use it for.
Any help advice would be greatly welcomed

Thanks
Newby Chris

Comments

• Phill B
    Phill B Posts: 71
    Hello Chris and welcome to the forum.
    Like you i was on a budget of around £700 and wanted a hardtail. this is what i did and a breakdown of the cost.

I bought a cannondale SL5 for £399.99 ( rrp £599.99 ) i knew before i bought the bike that it had a rubbish set of forks from reading all of the reviews, however the reviews also said it had a great frame that was ripe for upgrading.
    I then replaced the forks with a pair of Rock Shock Recons for £99.99 ( rrp £200 )
    I put on a pair of Nano tech superstar peddles for £50.00
    So up to now it has cost me £550.00

It does have mechanical disc brakes as opposed to hydraulic but they do the job just fine.
    i will be upgrading to hydaulic at a later date when i have more money available.

I have been riding it roughly 4-5 times a week for 2 months now and i am very happy, i have been to gisburn forest on the red route and did fine. what i am basicaly trying to say is you dont have to buy a complete bike, upgrading a good fram is an option. i will include a link so you can have alook at my bike and see what you think of it for £550.

happy riding, Phill. http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... _Brierley/
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.