Changing groupset advice needed

Zoomer37
Zoomer37 Posts: 725
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
When upgrading a groupset say from a 105 to Ultergra, is it ok to buy and fit individual parts as you go along to save forking out x amount on the full set, or is this a daft idea?

Been into hi-fi for a few years and doing it this way works well, but not sure if i'll feel the 'benefits' of the upgrade if its just one part here and there.

Any advice on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    Yes, as long as both are 9speed or 10speed parts or can upgrade piece by piece Sometimes you will find a good price on a whole groupset and something like levers and cranksets are expensive as one off items if you buy new. Ultegra sl groups seems to go for a good price. Do the maths and see if you are wasting cash but upgrading piece by piece.

Piece by piece allows you to upgrade particular bits in a different hierachy. This is a whole different topic but some items you will notice improvements in, some not and some you might not want from that groupset. i.e i prefer black 105 brake calipers to silver ultegra ones, kmc chains to shimano, 105 is a decent enough level for front mech, would want a DA bottom bracket but have a DA chainring on my ultegra crank etc.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Yes, and besides you can usually use SRAM parts as well if you want.
    Except shifters/mechs are not fully interchangeable.
    The other thing is that 105 has changed quite a lot over the years.
    My 20 year old 105 groupset is nothing like today's 105.