Which bike?

KrisWragg
KrisWragg Posts: 7
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently trying to find myself a bike that I can use to commute to work as well as have some fun off road too on gravel tracks etc.

At the moment I am currently toying between the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2011 and Boardman Mountain Bike Sport Medium 2010. I don't know much about bikes but from what I have read the Boardman seems a better spec? Halfords are currently selling them for £467.49 which is about the same price as the Specialized.

Any advice? Don't want to spend more than £500, and want something which has a lockout on the suspension so I can use it on road.

I live in Sheffield so I need something with lots of gears as there are tons of steep hills here :D

Boardman:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#dtab

Specialized:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... e=Mountain

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Boardman
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Must agree with cooldad, I had a hardrock and just couldn't get along with it. The fork is useless as well!!
  • buff
    buff Posts: 139
    definitely the boardman if you could spend more get the fury but the boardman will be perfect but which halfords are you going to. (i live in Sheffield also)
    carrera fury
  • I live near the Crystal Peaks one, and I work near the one on Queens Road. So I have the choice of both really although without a bike rack the Crystal Peaks one is a bit better.

I was tempted with the Fury, its reduced to £550 at the moment and seems to have a lot of good reviews, is actually as good as people make out?
  • buff
    buff Posts: 139
    yes it is a very good, light. fast solid bike ive fell of in grenno woods on the dh coarse and only scratched my stem. i bought mine from the queens road one i found the staff very helpful.
    carrera fury
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    another for the fury
  • I'm in the process of doing the same. I live out in Millhouse Green and cycle the 1st 1/4 of my journey to work on a mixture of road and Trans Pennine Trail before meeting at a collegues house and then car sharing.

I've been buying bits and pieces for the last couple of months and my total build price will be about £500, 2nd hand frame and bought all of the other components new (just kept an eye out for good deals and used Quidco to get a little back)

This way I've got exactly what I wanted to the spec that I wanted & it is made up of better components than when the bike was new and cost alot less than the equivelant bike when new.