GP4000s are rubbish

2»

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:
    :lol: For sportives and stuff, yeah, but not for the commute.

Will stick with them for now - they are light and grip well and seem to roll well too. Hopefully punctures were just one of those things.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Aguila wrote:
    Complete nonsense, gatorskins grip just fine in the wet.

That's what i've found, although I haven't really had puncture problems with the gp4000s now and i've done about 600 miles on them so far.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aguila wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Try Conti Gators for a more robust tyre that is more suited to the task.

What's the practical difference between commuting and racing? How can the tyre tell? At best I'm 3-4 kg lighter in weekend trim, and I'd still expect a race tyre to last > 1500 miles.

I've tried Gatorskins in the past, and they are fully scary in the wet
    ; never again! Apart from the sidewall issues, GP4000s seem to be great; fast, grippy, hard-wearing and about as puncture-resistant as you could reasonably expect...

One of my two offs on the commute was on Gatorskins in the wet. My experience is that Krylions were better in the wet, as were GP4000Ses.

You also have to factor in his weight - he's 95kg - so the bike might handle differently. (Although I don't know what weight you are.)

At the end of the day, tyres seem to end up being a matter of personal experience.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I swear by Gatorskins - I put them through all sorts of winter abuse and never yet had a puncture - I've also had absolutely no grip issues.

Tried GP4000s - got two punctures on the one commute - they are paper thin though. Difference between race and commute? Commuting you simply don't want to trade robustness for those last fractions of speed. I will use them again come the summer months but the commute is too covered in crap right now. Gatorskins all the way.

Tried Bontrager hardcase and absolutely hated them - not only are they slow and heavy, I also got a puncture within the first week
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I swear by Gatorskins
    Good, I'm glad some people can recommend them.
    Tried Bontrager hardcase and absolutely hated them - not only are they slow and heavy, I also got a puncture within the first week
    Not typical, though I know they aren't the lightest or best rolling tyre. I didn't find a great deal of difference when I changed to Rubino Pro, even less so once rucksack, jacket and the inevitable headwind take their toll.

However, I was convinced of its toughness after my hardcase tyre bent (and resisted) a hefty 2" thorn that would have gone straight through most road tyres. I'm willing to trade a bit of weight to avoid the occasional unscheduled roadside repair job on the daily run.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I swear by Gatorskins - I put them through all sorts of winter abuse and never yet had a puncture - I've also had absolutely no grip issues.

I've had Gatorskins (28x700) on for the last 2.5-3k miles and have had no real problem with grip in the wet - the occasional temporary slide but no off - though I've got a long, largely rural commute so I probably don't push the envelope on that front.

I have had a couple punctures - both due to flint shards; I've heard others say that they've had similar problems - so I will probably try something else (Schwalbe Durano is currently top of the list) when my rear tyre full wears out - which won't be long - since I live in a flinty area...

_
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Underscore wrote:
    Not typical, though I know they aren't the lightest or best rolling tyre. I didn't find a great deal of difference when I changed to Rubino Pro, even less so once rucksack, jacket and the inevitable headwind take their toll.

However, I was convinced of its toughness after my hardcase tyre bent (and resisted) a hefty 2" thorn that would have gone straight through most road tyres. I'm willing to trade a bit of weight to avoid the occasional unscheduled roadside repair job on the daily run.

I've got a pair of those on the cx at the moment and had one puncture during the day at the office, other than that they've been bullet proof after about 600 miles, they're showing their miles now though and it is fairly easy to get the back end sliding out. I imagine punctures will start happening again but i've been lucky so far.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have Rubino Pros and am very happy with them for the money. I get the occasional puncture, but that is life!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Aguila wrote:

Maybe they've changed them recently. The ones I used a few years ago had poor wet grip
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Simon E wrote:
    Not typical, though I know they aren't the lightest or best rolling tyre. .

I've only had Bontrager Hardcase 25mm on a few days. They seem to roll reasonably fast. Before I fitted them I weighed them and they were certainly more than the stated 340g on the pack, more like 390g

The bike had Pro Race 3 on it before, the Bontragers aren't as fast of course, but it still feels like the same bike.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

That's what i've found, although I haven't really had puncture problems with the gp4000s now and i've done about 600 miles on them so far.
    Nah, they're nowhere near as good in the wet as the 4seasons I now use. Seriously
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i used the standard 700x24 conti grand prix folder, 240grams used for a full year not one puncture and great in all conditions
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Used a pair of 700x28 Conti Gatorskins this morning for the first time. Very comfy and pretty quick.
  • I weigh about 80kgs, and use GP4000S for clubruns/sportives. I had my rear tyre blowout a few weeks back. Thankfully it was 5 mins after I got back and I was slouched on the couch, but I still almost fell on the floor.

The tyre before (GP4000S also) I cut up quite badly just before the Marmotte last year, also a sidewall rip.

Pity, as I have always used Conti's but will be looking for something else now, with a slightly stronger sidewall.

Also I commute on Gatorskins, and have for the past 5 years. I find them great, no problems in the wet, after taking the usual precautions of avoiding covers and road lines.