Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Shimano Ultegra SL Ice Grey 6600, 105 5700 or 6700 Rr Mech??

miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... R4%202008/

My Scott Addict R4 2008 needs a new Rear Mech as the cage is cracked so which one do I get? A new Shimano 105 5700 as it's under £35 GBP or the Ultegra 6700 for just under £60 GBP. Would the 6600 Ice Grey SL STI Shifters on the bike work with these?

With the exception of the Dura Ace 7800 Chain Set and Pedals, the Group Set on the bike is Ultegra SL Ice Grey 6600 and the matching 6600 SL Ice Grey Rear Mech is still available for about £60 GBP too. The 105 is a rung below Ultegra but being the latest 5700 would it work as well as the older 6600 that's on the bike or would the new 6700 Ultegra be better than getting the older 6600 design rear mech that's already there? A consideration also is whether the 105 would be in keeping with the rest of the bike? Sorry to be so confusing. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posts

  • yayayaya Posts: 411
    I've changed from 6600 (silver, cracked cage) to 6700 about a year ago. Works well with the 6600 shifters, no problems at all with installing/ adjusting it.

    If you shop carefully you can find it for £50 on eBay from respected shops
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    all the options you mention will work.

    the 5700/6700 can handle bigger cassettes than the 6600, which may swing it (28t officially against 27t officially for the 6600)

    I have both 6600 and 6700 and the latter is better IMO.Not by much but it's action is slightly lighter and more positive.

    Having said that, the key driver in drivetrain lightness, in my opinion, is cable quality and lubrication. I've recently stated to use a dedicated cable lube and it is excellent.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
    Thanks very much for your replies, yaya and maddog. 6700 it is then if it's better and can be used with a 28 tooth cassette and at £50 is cheaper than what I can get 6600 for anyway. Yaya how did your rear cage crack?
  • yayayaya Posts: 411
    miurasv wrote:
    Thanks very much for your replies, yaya and maddog. 6700 it is then if it's better and can be used with a 28 tooth cassette and at £50 is cheaper than what I can get 6600 for anyway. Yaya how did your rear cage crack?

    I wish I knew how it broke...just heard some grinding noise and thought it came out of alignment then found a crack. It was still holding so I was able to ride home

    I bought the bike used so maybe it was bent and straightened before

    Anyway it was a good timing as I wanted to change to a 28t cassette anyway...
  • miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
    yaya wrote:
    miurasv wrote:
    Thanks very much for your replies, yaya and maddog. 6700 it is then if it's better and can be used with a 28 tooth cassette and at £50 is cheaper than what I can get 6600 for anyway. Yaya how did your rear cage crack?

    I wish I knew how it broke...just heard some grinding noise and thought it came out of alignment then found a crack. It was still holding so I was able to ride home

    I bought the bike used so maybe it was bent and straightened before

    Anyway it was a good timing as I wanted to change to a 28t cassette anyway...

    I see. I'd been having problems with shifting up (down the cassette) and originally thought it was my STI Shifter that was at fault but later found the rear derailleur hanger was slightly bent and the cage cracked. Replacing the hanger cured the problem. My 6600 still works but I will have to replace it. I'll get the 6700 and also get the 28 tooth cassette when the cassette needs replacing.
  • miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 00%20cage/

    Link to the pic of the cracked cage. You can see it on the cage level with the bottom of the top wheel where the cage narrows. Click on the pics to enlarge.
  • miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
    Yaya, I've found out that the rear cage is replaceable. The part of the cage that needs replacing on my rear mech cost £7.45 so I was wondering why you bought a new rear mech when you could have replaced the cage?
  • mickenmicken Posts: 275
    miurasv wrote:
    Yaya, I've found out that the rear cage is replaceable. The part of the cage that needs replacing on my rear mech cost £7.45 so I was wondering why you bought a new rear mech when you could have replaced the cage?

    I've got a cracked 6600 cage on my wife's bike. Where did you get the replacement from please?
Sign In or Register to comment.