Veloflex Carbon or Extreme?

parajba
parajba Posts: 95
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I would like to hear your opinions. I'm currently using Conti Comps but I'm thinking of switching to Veloflex.
I mostly do Grand Fondos (12 per year?) and some nice sunny group rides end of Spring-Summer. I'm 69 kg.

I narrowed down my options to Veloflex Carbon or Extreme. I would like to hear your comments in terms of punctures, grip, feedback etc...

Thanks!

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I use the Carbon tubs. Superb tyres. End of.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • parajba

Hi, firstly thanks for your reply! You seem enthusiastic about your Veloflex Carbons! Do you think that the Extreme are too delicate and not worth the extra piece of mind of the Carbons? I'm leaning towards the Carbon myself, just wanted a confirmation...Thanks again.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    £70 tubs?

For sportives?

Holy moly
  • parajba
    £70 tubs?

For sportives?

Holy moly

A few points...

1.£70 is nothing compare to what people (me included) spend for bike, wheels, groupset, shoes, sun glasses, helmet, gym etc. Tyres are the most important part of your bike!

2. I pay 39 euros (less than a top clincher in the UK) because I'm often in Italy and can access the factory shop directly in Presezzo (Bergamo)

3. I might start racing...

:)
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    parajba wrote:

Hi, firstly thanks for your reply! You seem enthusiastic about your Veloflex Carbons! Do you think that the Extreme are too delicate and not worth the extra piece of mind of the Carbons? I'm leaning towards the Carbon myself, just wanted a confirmation...Thanks again.

Mmmm that's a difficult one. You could argue that the Extreme's higher thread count might make it the stronger tyre.

Either way you won't go wrong with a Veloflex
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    parajba wrote:
    £70 tubs?

For sportives?

Holy moly

A few points...

1.£70 is nothing compare to what people (me included) spend for bike, wheels, groupset, shoes, sun glasses, helmet, gym etc. Tyres are the most important part of your bike!

Actually you'll find the rider is the most important part. If you are going to spend that kind of money why not get Dugast or FMB?
    M.Rushton
  • parajba
    mrushton wrote:
    parajba wrote:
    £70 tubs?

For sportives?

Holy moly

A few points...

Actually you'll find the rider is the most important part. If you are going to spend that kind of money why not get Dugast or FMB?

Hi - agree about rider, was referring to 'most important part of equipment'.
    I get a 50% discount on Veloflex, the factory is just around the corner. Plus Veloflex are easier to mount...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    parajba wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    parajba wrote:
    £70 tubs?

For sportives?

Holy moly

A few points...

Hi - agree about rider, was referring to 'most important part of equipment'.
    I get a 50% discount on Veloflex, the factory is just around the corner. Plus Veloflex are easier to mount...

Can you pick me a pair up next time your there? Im stuck with bog standard Evo Corsas!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    As long as you can avoid glass and shards of flint they're among the best tyres you can buy (should be more supple than the Conti's).

I personally wouldn't run them (apart form in crits) but then most of my riding is in and around London where glass is a big problem.
  • parajba
    Thanks everybody for your help, I bought 4 Carbons for 172 euros.
    Unfortunately it is very difficult to get hold of these tyres, as demand is very high...didn't manage to get more...I think Ribble sells them for around £76 each.
    I will let them age for 12 months now.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    For anyone else who can't drop by the factory shop - they're a mere €57/£50 each here...

http://www.jedi-sports.de/product_info. ... x22mm.html
  • parajba
    Good call, I used Jedi-Sports several times and can vouch for them! Very professional guys!