Has anyone ever cracked a carbon chainset?

dirkdiggler69
dirkdiggler69 Posts: 118
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Just cleaning my bike after the cheshire cat at weekend and i've noticed what looks suspiciously like a crack in one of my crank arms around 2 1/2 inches from the pedal.
i did notice towards the end of the route when i stood up to pedal there was a creaking noise coming from what i thought was the bb area.
the chainset is an fsa sl-k carbon one?

the guys at formby cycles seem to think it will be covered under the warrenty.
anyone else ever had this happen?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Photos ?

I fractured an alloy Mavic SSC crank arm once - noticed the crack as I was cleaning the bike - so got it off it before anything bad happened. Mine was from the join to the bottom bracket.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I broke a RaceFace turbine chainring bolt hole by bouncing the bike off some rocks.

They replaced them, I was impressed.

Too bad they went outta biz.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Various pictures of crank failures here (scroll down to "Cranks"):

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

See if you can spot something like yours. I don't think there are any carbon cranks there though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I recently sheared my drive side alloy cranks almost clean off the chain rings - left hanging by 2 of the 5 bolts. It was 2 months outside the 2 year warranty but I'm pressing for a replacement (which I would probably be advised to sell on and get something else in its place...)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    balthazar wrote:
    Various pictures of crank failures here (scroll down to "Cranks"):

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

See if you can spot something like yours. I don't think there are any carbon cranks there though.

Ooh, have a look in the Frames section at "Head Tube Separation after a Crash" - slightly worrying!
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange