Definition of a Nodder

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Just curious.... is it

1. A fellow cyclist who is friendly and gives you a nod as they pass or

2. A brand spanking new commuter, who, as they slowly move along nod their head from side to side in time with their pedal strokes.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

We were all there once, it is good to see (as long as they are not on the pavement), but frustrating to be stuck behind.....
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Is there a term for the people (typically girls riding excessively large bikes) who stand on the pedals, bodies bolt-upright, moving up and down in time with their pedalling?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    TGOTB wrote:
    Is there a term for the people (typically girls riding excessively large bikes) who stand on the pedals, bodies bolt-upright, moving up and down in time with their pedalling?

No

There is, however, a word for those who own and use airzounds. Coincidentally it also ends in ER.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    TGOTB wrote:

No

There is, however, a word for those who own and use airzounds. Coincidentally it also ends in ER.

Louder?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    TGOTB wrote:

Bobbers?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TGOTB wrote:

No

Rundler?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Bloody nodders and bobbers, always holding the rest of us up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIkVNykuuE
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Definitely definition number 2...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had a bobber in front of me this morning, I am in pootle mode as I am not completely over a chest infection but I'm fine if I keep things sensible.

He was riding a bike with gears but seemed to spend most of the time standing and bobbign to get the bike running, only when upto speed did he sit down, talk about making things harder for himself.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Then of course there is the power assisted nodder, head going up and down and one hand on a thigh to add extra push to the pedal stroke.

One of my very few regular targets adopts this motion, it is true salt in the wounds to cruise effortlessly past his red gasping face and offer a cheery hello. Poor fecker.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think it's more nodding up and down on the their brand new halfords fully suss £100 bike.
    exercise.png
  • Kieran_Burns
    TheStone wrote:
    I think it's more nodding up and down on the their brand new halfords fully suss £100 bike.

that's not nodding; that's bouncing.

I get seasick watching sometimes.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm a little confused by this thread... Wallace you've been here a while you must have read about nodders last summer if not the summer you joined?

they push too higher a gear (thinking it makes them faster) and their head bobs with the pedal strokes as the legs aren't strong enough to push that sort of gearing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    TheStone wrote:

Those the ones with the seat post resting on (and I use the term loosely) shock.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm a little confused by this thread... Wallace you've been here a while you must have read about nodders last summer if not the summer you joined?

they push too higher a gear (thinking it makes them faster) and their head bobs with the pedal strokes as the legs aren't strong enough to push that sort of gearing

Yes, had thought that was the definition but got slightly confused recently with some people talking of the new commuers that nodded to one another in an exaggerated manner, instead of the INR. Plus we don't get a lot of them up this way.....

Maybe I just miss out on the London centric threads..... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yes, had thought that was the definition but got slightly confused recently with some people talking of the new commuers that nodded to one another in an exaggerated manner, instead of the INR. Plus we don't get a lot of them up this way.....

there was me thinking north glasgow was near Barnet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A guy in my (large open plan) office is a classic nodder.

He has been commuting for 6 months now (through the winter - chapeau!) on a second hand full suss BSO. His head is nodding in a gentle rhythm as he goes past the window.
    He has now got his commute down to 40 minutes - for 4.5 miles! :shock:

We actually had a conversation last week where he thought the maximum speed for a bike, ie terminal velocity, downhill; is around 15 mph! Incredulous doesn't cover it.

I still commend him for doing it though. 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    daviesee wrote:
    ...We actually had a conversation last week where he thought the maximum speed for a bike, ie terminal velocity, downhill; is around 15 mph! Incredulous doesn't cover it....

Bear in mind that many of these people use brakes when going downhill. Sometimes even when it isn't an emergency...!

Cheers,
    W.
  • daviesee
    Seen that W but that is not the case here.

He was actually proud that he can cycle as fast as he can run. Saw that as something to boast about :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    daviesee wrote:

We actually had a conversation last week where he thought the maximum speed for a bike, ie terminal velocity, downhill; is around 15 mph! Incredulous doesn't cover it.

Really? He's not aware of any cycling whatsoever? tour de france, olympics where the uk won a significant amount of gold etc etc
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    TheStone wrote:

Not all nodders are on Halfrauds fully suss £100 bikes. I took great pleasure in repeatedly scalping one on some carbon loveliness up Archway hill yesterday (RLJer).
    All the gear and no idea. Must have been FCN 2/3!

I don't think he liked my comments as I passed him again and again.
    "Nice day for it."
    "Nice bike"
    "This hills a bit steep"
    etc

He also appeared to be braking on the downhill bit too. I don't count that bit as a proper scalp though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Clever Pun wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Really? He's not aware of any cycling whatsoever? tour de france, olympics where the uk won a significant amount of gold etc etc
    [pedant] GB & NI, not UK.[/pedant]
    I agree with you though. Crazy!!

Put him on a road bike and see what he's like then. Probably brakes on downhill straights with no traffic!

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    daviesee wrote:
    He was actually proud that he can cycle as fast as he can run. Saw that as something to boast about :shock:

He'll realise eventually that he should be saying it the other way round...
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I agree with you though. Crazy!!

Put him on a road bike and see what he's like then. Probably brakes on downhill straights with no traffic!

I think the formal team name is GB and NI but so what, the nation is UK, so I'd say the phrase wasn't inaccurate.

Though why I'm bothering to reply I've no idea! :)
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424

I was oot and aboot in Glasgow this morning (on foot) and was pleasantly surprised at the number of bikes on the go. I saw a few dodgy manoeuvres though - people playing with cars on the squinty bridge.

James
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    uk won a significant amount of gold etc etc

Aren't "GB & NI" and "UK" the same thing? i.e. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I've never really understood why we compete as "GBR" at the Olympics, yet have NI athletes in the team. It should probably be "UK" there.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Aren't "GB & NI" and "UK" the same thing? i.e. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I've never really understood why we compete as "GBR" at the Olympics, yet have NI athletes in the team. It should probably be "UK" there.

The whole thing makes very little sense to me.
    With all of the devolution going on, how long until the Isle of Wight, Isle of Sheppey and the Isle of Dogs want self rule!

• daviesee
    Clever Pun wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I have not discussed racing so I can't say for certain but you would think so.
    I just think he has no perception of speed. Probably not of distance either as he couldn't believe I cycled over 70 miles one day in October (I didn't want sound like a blowhard by mentioning the centuries). The distances and speeds in the TDF would probably be beyond his comprehension.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    TGOTB wrote:

Standing on the pedals in order to turn a big gear is called honking.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

The whole thing makes very little sense to me.
    With all of the devolution going on, how long until the Isle of Wight, Isle of Sheppey and the Isle of Dogs want self rule!

It'd be nice if ENGLAND had some self rule first :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X