Biking Forest Trails

ZwieseDave
ZwieseDave Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am hoping you guys can help me out, I am a overweight 52 year old and haven't ridden much in years, I have been lucky that just recently we have moved to the Bavarian Forest National park where there is a fantastic amount of cycling trails.

I have been to the local bike shop which is well stocked with different types and makes and he has suggested a Bulls Copperhead 2 which the bike shop reckoned they generally have better made equipment on them for the price, he let me take out for the day. Now I have to admit this overweight 52 year old cheated a bit as the bike had a Bionx motor attached but believe you me I was over enthusiastic and stiff as a board this morning.

Anyway has anyone got any better suggestions for a bike mid range which I will be using mostly on cycle pathways and forest trails as I intend to use it quiet a bit, until I get my greek god figure back I will be also looking at a bit of assistance as well understanding the small hills we have round here.

Big thanks

Dave

Comments

• Hi, welcome to the forums.

There are a couple of issues with your post.

Considering this forum contains mostly English based mambers, I doubt you'll find anyone who knows what a Bulls Copperhead 2 is.

You've not stated a budget. "Mid-range" means different things to different people.

I have no idea what a Bionx Motor is, but it sounds like one of those retrofit electric pedal assist things. Is this something you'll wante fitted to your eventual purchase, if so , does that impose any limitations on what you buy?

That said, with you being in Germany, the obvious recommendations you'll be receiving from this forum will be to have a look at bikes from Cube and Canyon. These are about the only 2 German brands most people are aware of, and are also about the best value too.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Look OK, depends on what it cost though, for what you need the Copperhead 1 may do also.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cat With No Tail

you forgot Focus.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Check www.bike-discount.de

Not sure what brands they stock but others on here have said that they are pretty good value.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Hi Dave, welcome. Nice place to find yourself living!
    This one?
    Looks like a decently spec'd bike - respectable forks, brakes, drivetrain, etc. Hard to fault it. What price are they asking for it?
    Definitely also look at Canyon (probably the Nerve XC) and do a side-by-side comparison.

Wrt the Bionx motor, check that it can be removed easily later if you suddenly find you are a greek god again and don't need it any more 8) . Personally I'd give the bionx a miss.
    Without saying too much, I probably raise the average age of this forum by about 10 years, so I understand about being 50+. (Still 18 in my head though, and tarp as shacks too, I'll have you know . . :lol: )
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • @ Delta 5

The Copperhead 2 is 1000 Euros but I have just had a mail from the bike shop saying that Bulls are bringing in a new range in two weeks with the E-Motor already packaged at a good price, its called the Green Emover Copperhead & Green Emover Mountain, they seemed have changed motor mfg and the new one has a 105km range above the 80km range that Bionx says it can do, obviously this is all down to weight and steepness of any hill I will attempt to climb.

I cannot climb the mountains around here without some sort of assistance, so its a needs must, I know back when I was in my 20-30s I would of snarled at this type of bike but they are getting very popular in Germany.

Dave