The Advertising Standards Agency

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I heard an ASA advert over the weekend on the Radio and this morning on the Choob (abandoned my bike as pished on Friday night) I noticed a large print poster at Waterloo

Here's a question . . .

Why does the ASA advertise?

How much money do they spend advertising their non profit making supervisory function....

Just wondered . . . .
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Dunno, but I'm tempted to complain to them about some of the thread titles appearing on this forum
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I imagine that if you're an agency tasked with monitoring advertisements then a good way to make the public aware of your presence is by.. er.. running advrerts. Or have I missed the point?

Anyway, I'm sure it's all very economical. It's not like they're hiring megastars like the guy who used to be funny when he was in My Family.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They advertise so that people know that they're there. If you don't know that a service exists then how are you supposed to use it?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I guess it advertises so that people know that it exists and what it does. Given that Ryanair hates them, I think they're probably doing a fairly good job. The less visibility it has in the public eye, the easier it would be to lobby for its erosion or removal. And as it is funded by the industry it (apparently quite fairly) regulates, does it matter how much they spend on advertising?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Kurako wrote:
    (snip)

Anyway, I'm sure it's all very economical. It's not like they're hiring megastars like the guy who used to be funny when he was in My Family.

Ahhhh like Premier Inn - cheapo hotels saviing money by hiring Lenny Henry who's never been funny.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T wrote:

Just wondered . . . .

.... and while we're at it, why is there only one monopolies commission?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Greg T wrote:

Just wondered . . . .

.... and while we're at it, why is there only one monopolies commission?

There were two, but they merged. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Greg T wrote:

How much money do they spend advertising their non profit making supervisory function....

Just wondered . . . .

A lot of business magazines (and websites) let them advertise for free, with standing artwork ready to fill up awkward fractions of pages that aren't quite full of ads or planned holes on pages where the magazine hasn't been able to get hold of a paid-for ad.
    The same goes for charideees aimed at helping the magazine's readers when they fall on hard times and helpful organisations like HSE and Samaritans.
    Also worth noting that the ASA is paid for by the advertising industry, so difficult to really care how much of their money the ASA is spending.