AVERAGE MILEAGE!!

GER 67
GER 67 Posts: 54
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
IVE BEEN USING MY MOUNTAIN BIKE ON THE ROAD MY AVERAGE SPEED IS 12MPH,IM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A TREK 2.1 2011 WITH 105 GEARING,WILL I SEE ANY DIFFRENT IN MY AVERAGE SPEED,? :?
Kuota

Comments

• yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    3-4MPH in my experience. I think it is mostly due to the skinny tyres Vs big heavy off roaders
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    GER 67 wrote:
    IVE BEEN USING MY MOUNTAIN BIKE ON THE ROAD MY AVERAGE SPEED IS 12MPH,IM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A TREK 2.1 2011 WITH 105 GEARING,WILL I SEE ANY DIFFRENT IN MY AVERAGE SPEED,? :?

Capital lock off please. :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    YOUR AVERAGE SPEED ON YOUR MTB WILL STAY THE SAME I THINK
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    probbaly a 10% increase on changing to a road bike, this based on commuting speeds on a 1hr hilly commiute; 1 hr for MTb with slicks and rigid fork v 55min road bike
  • JamesB wrote:
    probbaly a 10% increase on changing to a road bike, this based on commuting speeds on a 1hr hilly commiute; 1 hr for MTb with slicks and rigid fork v 55min road bike
    depends on how fit you are too i suppose, it could be much faster then 5 minutes improvement!

your AVG will improve anyways.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • GER 67
    GER 67 Posts: 54
    The club that im joining says they do an average speed of 17mph, is that fast for a beginner,all new to me!!!
    Kuota
  • GER 67 wrote:
    The club that im joining says they do an average speed of 17mph, is that fast for a beginner,all new to me!!!
    It is quite fast, most clubs offer more than one ride though so they may be quoting a faster ride. See if they offer a club run or beginner ride, perhaps this will be slower.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    You should be able to average 15mph on a road bike to begin with, depending on the terrain. Very soon you ought to be up to 16mph plus, again depending on the roads. Best bet is to do a ride with the mentality that you'll get dropped for a few weeks. Eventually you'll catch up the the group speed and be much happier for it. Just swallow your pride and don't get down when you get dropped, have faith in the fact you'll be beating some of the group members eventually.

I advise from personal experience as the guy who used to get dropped :wink: